Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
My Hair Is Horrible!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:05 am
After 12 years of covering my hair for over 12 years I look like I have a head-full of steel wool and frizz and uneven patches.

Is it just the way it is when you cover your hair for so many years? Or is there something that can be done? I'm embarrassed to look in the mirror!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:07 am
how often do you wash your hair? do you eat a healthy diet? do you change your hair coverings frequently? do you sleep with your hair covered? do you use conditioner? take vitamins?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:09 am
Get a professional, interestingly designed, quite short, buzz cut. Then have the colorist paint on some interesting color at the front and at the temples. Perhaps a slightly freaky, intense, dark red. The professionals will know what to do.

Then cover, and go out, amused at you and your husband's little secret.

But, consult your husband first about the color. He might just want something simpler, such as a dark blonde or dark brown. Don't spring anything on him he hasn't consented to.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:15 am
mummiedearest wrote:
how often do you wash your hair? do you eat a healthy diet? do you change your hair coverings frequently? do you sleep with your hair covered? do you use conditioner? take vitamins?

Um...I wash it a few times a week I guess. I eat a very healthy diet. I wear wigs and snoods. I don't sleep with my hair covered and am not crazy strict about having it covered when home alone or at night. Yes I use conditioner. I have vitamins but keep forgetting to take them - that would help??

Dolly, it's a nice idea but I hate, hate, hate short hair. Is that really the only solution? Everyone has a buzz cut under their wigs?

CatLady

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:17 am
I stated taking Biotin 5000 mcgs daily, and my hair is glossy, in good condition and grows quickly. Also, my nails, which used to split like crazy, have never been stronger.

One more thing - I am in my late 50s and my hair changed texture as I got older. it used to be more slippery and silky and now it is coarser and prone to frizziness. If your hair is turning gray, this goes along with it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:31 am
It's easier to wear a wig with cropped hair. But it's not for everyone.

I was punky looking before I got religious, so I am used to having only a tiny bit of hair. My own hair was nothing to mourn. But that's not true of everybody.

But a cropped head can be fun, especially if painted or highlighted interestingly.

You have to develop a style working with what you DO HAVE!

And ignoring your outdated prejudices. Your high school photo isn't coming back. Can we think of something else? Who are you NOW? If you can't be young, be chic.

If you long for a luxurious full head of nice hair, buy it. Buy several.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:35 am
There might be a convenience and a modesty issue of going to a salon.

Maybe a frum lady with the right skills and licenses would make house calls, to buzz and paint other frum women at home. Could be done in an hour. With one of those catch-the-clippings capes. Maybe the color could be painted on dry hair, and left in, no shampooing needed.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 11:57 am
give your hair & scalp a hot oil treatment with jojoba & vitamin e oils & then let it air out to dry

definitely get a nice haircut so that you feel good when it's out [not short - everybody is regretting the short cuts - they don't grow in so readily]

spinkles

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:11 pm
After a shower, I towel dry my hair and then put conditioner (good quality extra moisturizing kind) on. Don't rinse the conditioner out; just comb hair and towel dry again. It's what I did before marriage to control frizziness and I just kept doing it...it works for me, maybe it'll work for you. (I know it sounds like it would make my hair gross due to product buildup, but it doesn't. Keeps it soft and not frizzy.)

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Um...I wash it a few times a week I guess. I eat a very healthy diet. I wear wigs and snoods. I don't sleep with my hair covered and am not crazy strict about having it covered when home alone or at night. Yes I use conditioner. I have vitamins but keep forgetting to take them - that would help??

Dolly, it's a nice idea but I hate, hate, hate short hair. Is that really the only solution? Everyone has a buzz cut under their wigs?

cut back on washings. they strip your hair of good stuff. I wash my hair once a week. conditioner can help get your hair back to a nice state. vitamins can certainly help. it's good that you let your hair air out. someone else recommended a hot oil treatment. that's probably a good idea, though I have no experience with them myself.

everyone I know who has hair problems blamed on covering washes their hair like they did when they were teens: daily or similar. my hair has never looked better. your hair needs its natural oil. that doesn't mean it needs to be gross, but a little oil is ok. try washing it twice a week at most. add conditioner regularly. take your vitamins. report back in a few weeks.

gold21

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 10:00 am
What was your hair like before you started covering it?
Some women just have hair prone to the frizzies...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics