Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to stop wire in bra from poking out in the wash?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:38 pm
Due to my large size I can only wear underwire bras. For years I washed the bras in the washing machine with cold water in a lingerie bag and of course never put them in dryer. when the wires stated poking out it meant I bra was very old and time to be replaced.
I recently bought a new bra and one wire poked out after just a few washings. I poked it back in and the next time I washed the bra the other wire poked out.
I hate doing any kind of washing by hand. Is the bra defective or how can I fix this?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:39 pm
you're gonna have agitation in the washing machine that is going to keep on causing the wires to poke out ...

wash them by hand only ... or live with the poke

mandr

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:44 pm
They'd need to be replaced before the wire pokes out Wink Wash them only in by hand, if possible. It's easy. Fill a washing bowl with cold water and pour a small amount of detergent under the running water. Stick the bras in and let it sit for half hour or however long you think it needs. Pour out the water. Rinse under running water and hang to dry. Keeps them newer for longer.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 12:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
you're gonna have agitation in the washing machine that is going to keep on causing the wires to poke out ...

wash them by hand only ... or live with the poke
But I always washed them in the machine and never had a problem till now. What am I suddenly doing wrong?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 1:36 pm
it always happens to me - eventually - usually when the rubber starts to give a little ...

I prefer my washing in the machine too - because I prefer cotton & those stretch & need the machine to shrink them back

oh well ~ I have no answers

Success10

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 1:41 pm
I worked as a seamstress in a bra store for years. We never took achrayus for bras that were washed in the machine. If you do wash in machine, do so in a mesh bag on gentle cycle and NO DRYER.

That being said, nothing is the same quality it used to be, and some brands and models are just more prone to poking out wires. Any seamstress should be able to sew a simple patch of durable fabric over the hole (sewing up the hole is not enough). You can even try to take it to a bra store that does alterations, but they often don't service bras that were not bought by them.

You shouldn't wash it again in the machine without fixing the problem, though. The whole wire could come out, and snap in half, and it's not something that can be replaced easily.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 24 2014, 1:42 pm
You can get a BraBall:
http://www.amazon.com/BraBall-.....HZ59O
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry