Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me organize the toys PLEASE

Reality

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 10:52 pm
All the organized ladies out there please help me.

What brand containers are the best? What size is the most practical? How do you keep the toys attractive looking so the kids play with them?

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 10:54 pm
what kind of space to you have? measurements? what kind of toys?

Reality

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 10:59 pm
I have a basement. I bought shelves to place containers. The containers I bought were crummy and many cracked. I would like peoples opinions about different brands. Which are the sturdiest etc..

The toys I have? play food, mitzvah kinder, dolls, stuffed animals, dress up, games and plenty of misc. that I don't know what to do....

imeinu

Post Sat, Apr 26 2014, 11:20 pm
~for stuffed animals, hang up one or 2 of these in the corners:

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-P.....imals

~sterlite containers are good, but even a container that claims unbreakeable, cant hold up to kids!!
clear containers are best so you can see right in.

~to make it easy to clean up, get containers that have extra room in them so its easy for the kids, not ones that each peice has to be put in just so or it wont fit.

~dress up - hang up a row of hooks

~ for the misc items, get a large toybox or chest and just dump!! go through it once in a while and see what really belongs in the boxes.

~ throw out any toys that are broken or not used.

wife2

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 1:13 am
there is a shelf that comes with different color bins that can be pulled out and played with. This is good as you can organize that type of toy - like all toy cars in one, all blocks in another, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Tot-Tuto.....67PTO

The problem I have is with big toys that take up a lot of space - toy stroller, exersaucer, things that kids push or ride on. There is nowhere to put those things

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 7:42 am
wife2 wrote:
there is a shelf that comes with different color bins that can be pulled out and played with. This is good as you can organize that type of toy - like all toy cars in one, all blocks in another, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Tot-Tuto.....67PTO

The problem I have is with big toys that take up a lot of space - toy stroller, exersaucer, things that kids push or ride on. There is nowhere to put those things

we have something like that for the smaller toys, like polly pockets, little people, cars, animals, army men, etc.
then I have milk crates for stuffed animals, larger play animals, dolls
games, books, puzzles, little people houses all go on open shelves. legos, clicks, kapla, tinker toys, etc all stay in the containers they came in.
I have a large sturdy bin (not sterilite, those crack in a heartbeat) for play food and another one for dress up clothes.
sit n spin, small ride toys/push toys, larger trucks/cars, doll stroller etc end up in front of the shelves, there's not a good place to store them in my house.
I find that the key to toy organization is not to have too many toys. and I go through the toys about once a month throwing away anything broken, putting away anything that they dont use (up in the attic), and giving away anything that the kids have outgrown. I also do not keep junk, like all those little prizes they bring home from school or birthday parties. they each have a special drawer for stuff like that, when its full they have to throw some away.

Sherri

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 8:13 am
granolamom wrote:
we have something like that for the smaller toys, like polly pockets, little people, cars, animals, army men, etc.
then I have milk crates for stuffed animals, larger play animals, dolls
games, books, puzzles, little people houses all go on open shelves. legos, clicks, kapla, tinker toys, etc all stay in the containers they came in.
I have a large sturdy bin (not sterilite, those crack in a heartbeat) for play food and another one for dress up clothes.
sit n spin, small ride toys/push toys, larger trucks/cars, doll stroller etc end up in front of the shelves, there's not a good place to store them in my house.
I find that the key to toy organization is not to have too many toys. and I go through the toys about once a month throwing away anything broken, putting away anything that they dont use (up in the attic), and giving away anything that the kids have outgrown. I also do not keep junk, like all those little prizes they bring home from school or birthday parties. they each have a special drawer for stuff like that, when its full they have to throw some away.
This! (The key to keeping anything organized, I think, is lack of clutter.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:07 am
I like Hefty brand storage containers -- you can find them at Lowes -- they're completely modular, clear, strong, stackable, and come in several sizes. Rotating what you keep out helps control the mess and mixed up toys, and makes old toys feel new again when they reappear.

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 5:52 pm
Thank you everyone. I am going to get the hefty containers. Its just hard to judge what sizes I need. Oh well I will figure it out. I am also interested in that stuffed animal net. That's a very good idea.

If anyone else has any other tips feel free to add.....

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 6:24 pm
I keep all toys in bins. As soon as we get a new toy, we get a bin for it. I usually get them at target. They have all sizes and shapes. I agree with the poster that said that don't keep all toys. I only keep toys that my kids use. The rest I give away or put away in storage.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:31 pm
All toys are grouped by type or category in a bin with a cover that locks in place. This way if it falls pieces aren't rolling around.

Wood puzzles are stored in zip lock bags. 2 - 3 puzzles per bag and stacked in a basket. Same with regular puzzles - in a zip lock bag with the picture in the bag and in another basket.

I use zip lock bags a lot in all game boxes. I put the instructions and all pieces in one bag this way they don't get lost or seperated.

whirlwind

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 12:50 pm
I use the IKEA Trofast system and I love it. They have 3 different size boxes that slide into the frames or you can purchase shelves that slide into the frame so you can place bigger toys on the shelves. It is well-priced and the bins are extremely well-made. The frames themselves are of slightly lesser quality but so far have been holding up well for a year now.

lfab

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 1:56 pm
We use an Ikea Kallax unit like this one http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....5885/ with fabric bins http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....9281/ for toys with multiple pieces. Each category gets it's own bin ie. one for dolls, toy food, dress up clothes... Easy for kids to clean up and keeps pieces together. I go through the bins once in a while just to make sure pieces are where they belong. Larger toys and games go on a shelf.
I specifically like this unit as opposed to other cube storage systems because the bins are much larger!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 3:13 pm
After 29 years of parenting, I finally got fed up with all the pieces (we still have a 9 yo) of kaplas, FP menchies, playmobile, hotwheels, legos.... you name it. So, based on recommendations from a FB friend I bought a unit similar to the person who posted above me, an IKEA expidit (iirc) with 4 shelves across and 4 up and down = 16 cubbies. I bought containers from IKEA as well; plastic ones with a cover and not the fabric ones they recommend for these units. I wanted something durable that would stand the test of time... for when the grandchildren come IYH. I am very happy with this solution and am sorry I didn't know about it years ago.
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/8131/ak9t.jpg

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 30 2014, 3:47 pm
Tamiri, those are the trofast bins. we have the trofast for several years now and they have held up very well. a couple of the large size bins cracked but none of the smaller ones. You can always replace or add.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics