Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job hunting online and salary q's

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:39 pm
I am looking for a new job and would like to start online as many of the kind of company I would like to work for have job postings and applications on their websites. However, they all have long lists of candidate requirements and job duties, but no information about salary, benefits, or (for part-time jobs) hours. I have very specific requirements in those areas; in past job hunts I wasted way too much time applying and interviewing (including travel) only to find out at the very end of the process that their firm offer was way below what I expected (yes, I do know enough about my industry to have realistic expectations. There is a wide range and I am qualified enough to hold out for the higher end of the range.)

Is there a correct way to find out this information before going through each company's online job application? I don't want to be tacky and lose face, but these applications are considerably more involved than just sending a resume, and each company has their own online forms to fill out, it could take forever only to find out that they're not even in my league. How can I get the information I need without hurting my chances by being too forthright with money questions?

chaos

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:33 pm
Generally speaking, no. Sometimes, I come across job postings that list a salary or salary range, but the vast majority of the time, the posting will not have the salary. A general website like salary.com might be able to give ranges for job type, experience, company size, location, but it sounds like you know that information already. Good luck on job job search.

mom4many

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 9:03 am
I've been there. You can't know in advance unless you know someone working there who can tell you if they pay well.

In Israel, which is more informal, when I got a call to schedule an interview, I mentioned that my salary expectations were around X, and I wanted to know before wasting my time and theirs whether it was relevant. I said it nicely and they responded fairly unless they didn't know. I don't know if this can work in the U.S.
Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 11:25 am
If you go through a recruiting agency they should know the salary ranges for the positions that they would be referring you for.
I am on the other side trying to hire staff and we met with a few different agencies and explained what we are looking for and what the salary and benefits are before they even pass along any resumes to make sure that there is a possible fit.
What industry are you in? Certain industries have specialized agencies versus others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics