Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
What's the bug deal with kale salad?

noosheen

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 6:55 am
I'm almost scared to ask...
About the bugs!!! And the checking???
The kale salad mixes u see now in all the grocery stores. Do they need extra checking? Is kale buggy? Every time I find something healthy I like I find out its off the list or needs to be checked for a couple of hrs (which is for me the same thing)!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 7:03 am
noosheen wrote:
I'm almost scared to ask...
About the bugs!!! And the checking???
The kale salad mixes u see now in all the grocery stores. Do they need extra checking? Is kale buggy? Every time I find something healthy I like I find out its off the list or needs to be checked for a couple of hrs (which is for me the same thing)!

ASFAIK any leafy vegetable needs checking unless it is "prechecked". AYLOR about it and ask how he says it needs to be checked.

Pineapple

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 8:05 am
I assume it needs checking

MamaBear

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 8:30 am
All bagged salad other than iceberg (I think?) needs checking. Kosher stores have prechecked bags but all the ones you see in regular grocery stores need checking. They're washed, not checked.

I make lettuce free salads a lot.

spinkles

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 9:46 am
Kale can be very buggy. We're big into organic greens, and right now (because it's spring) I'm finding some leaves of kale have 20-30 bugs each. They're hard to find, too; kind of a grayish green that blends in nicely with the underside of the kale. So we're temporarily not eating kale.

Right now organic romaine is also pretty buggy (not as bad as the kale though).

What's pretty clean right now is baby bok choy and spinach. Rainbow chard has some bugs, but not nearly as many as kale and lettuce.

I set aside an hour to check my greens for the week, and put in a recorded shiur or something while I do it so I'm not bored. Once you make it part of your routine it's not a big deal.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 02 2014, 10:45 am
I bought a bag of baby kale, baby chard and baby spinach mixed together. It is triple washed. Do I just check each leaf for bugs like I do with baby spinach? I will call my local kashrus agency after work iyh.

yaelinIN

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 10:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I bought a bag of baby kale, baby chard and baby spinach mixed together. It is triple washed. Do I just check each leaf for bugs like I do with baby spinach? I will call my local kashrus agency after work iyh.
That power mix tends to be pretty clean. The spinach is the worst of any of them. Have never seen thrips or aphids in the kale or chard, but the spinach sometimes has the bubbles that have bugs inside.

It tastes really good in a fresh salad or sauteed.

spinkles

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 11:12 pm
Those triple-washed clamshells/bags scare me. http://www.consumerreports.org.....x.htm

You do need to check the triple washed stuff, according to all the major kashrus agencies.

mha3484

Post Sat, May 03 2014, 11:17 pm
Omg that made me want to Puke salads here may be lettuce free for quite some time.

agreer

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 12:25 am
I don't eat kale because of the bugs. It must be checked WELL!

spinkles

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 12:37 am
Quote:
salads here may be lettuce free for quite some time.

No, no, don't give up. Heads of romaine are really easy to check. They usually just have aphids that you can easily find by holding the leaves up to a strong light source.

cbg

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 1:40 am
What about the greens I see in boxes with hashgaha. I think the brands are organic girl, and organic Taylor. They have a KSOR on the box. Do those need to be checked?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics