Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Is this considered a complete supper?

busydev

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:36 pm
tonight im making a meal for a pp neighbor.
im making a chicken stir fry and rice (yeah I know e/o gets chicken and rice but im one of the first makers so....)
so stir fry is chicken, peppers, pineapple and onions plus a sauce.
so thats protien, veggies and rice is the carbs... is any other food needed to make it a complete supper or is this good enough? (I make this as a complete supper usually)
I plan on giving all disposables etc...
thanks!

causemommysaid

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:38 pm
it just fine. the idea is that you give them enough to feed their whole family. you dont need a to have multiple sides and appetizers

Last edited by causemommysaid on Sun, May 04 2014, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

imaima

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:39 pm
Sounds great to me!

Raisin

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:40 pm
sounds fine. def a complete meal.

chanchy123

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:41 pm
I would add a salad or sliced fresh vegetables and I like giving dessert too - although not necessary. it can be cookies a few slices of cake or fresh fruit. something simple

greenfire

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:42 pm
if you want to go the extra mile - make egg rolls with a bag of shredded cabbage & egg roll wrappers ... that will be the icing on the cake Tongue Out

Last edited by greenfire on Sun, May 04 2014, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

MamaBear

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 4:43 pm
I think if there's enough of it, it's fine. But just my opinion, maybe leave out the pineapples. Cooked pineapples in a dish is definitely not something everyone likes.

CatLady

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 5:37 pm
What about dessert? I would send something simple like orange quarters and fortune cookies. Otherwise it sounds delicious.

seeker

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 8:25 pm
I consider it a supper when I make it at home. But maybe I'd make a side, like a salad or fruit, if I were sending it to someone else.

gold21

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 8:36 pm
Honestly, it sounds really yummy. Send some over here!

There are always those who will say "send a dessert too" or "send steak, apple martinis, salmon, juice, and noodle kugel too"..... But you're a busy lady too, so it's not really fair to expect you to make a 6 course gourmet meal...

If you had lots of time on your hands, I would say make a salad or soup on the side. But you probably don't have a lot of time on your hands.

No dessert required (or recommended) for weekday suppers!!

Sounds yum Tongue Out

Sherri

Post Sun, May 04 2014, 8:48 pm
Sounds delicious... as mentioned, if you have extra time, maybe slice some cucumbers?

TWINNY

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 2:13 pm
Soup

Raisin

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 3:27 pm
gold21 wrote:
Honestly, it sounds really yummy. Send some over here!

There are always those who will say "send a dessert too" or "send steak, apple martinis, salmon, juice, and noodle kugel too"..... But you're a busy lady too, so it's not really fair to expect you to make a 6 course gourmet meal...

If you had lots of time on your hands, I would say make a salad or soup on the side. But you probably don't have a lot of time on your hands.

No dessert required (or recommended) for weekday suppers!!

Sounds yum Tongue Out

I agree!

And not everyone will be happy with people sending over junk food.

some cut up veggies or salad would be a nice extra if you have time but no more. (egg rolls????)

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 3:47 pm
seeker wrote:
I consider it a supper when I make it at home. But maybe I'd make a side, like a salad or fruit, if I were sending it to someone else.

Same... In fact I make stir fries often, and for my own family I don't usually serve another veggie side if there are enough in the dish. When I send it to other families, I usually chop up some vegetables and include a pan of carrot, cucumber and pepper strips.

I think it's easy enough for the parent to pull out pieces of fruit or vegetable from a stir fry for those who don't like specific food items. I do it with my my kids all the time. Don't worry about some people not liking this or that, as long as it's easily removed.

Soul on fire

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 3:59 pm
the only thing I would do would be to add less "carby" veggies to the stir fry...string beans, asparagus, broccoli (if you/they eat it), bok choy, something like that. But if you think they won't care about less carby veggies then it sounds like plenty. And now I want stir fry. Smile

goodmorning

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 4:13 pm
busydev wrote:
tonight im making a meal for a pp neighbor.
im making a chicken stir fry and rice (yeah I know e/o gets chicken and rice but im one of the first makers so....)
so stir fry is chicken, peppers, pineapple and onions plus a sauce.
so thats protien, veggies and rice is the carbs... is any other food needed to make it a complete supper or is this good enough? (I make this as a complete supper usually)
I plan on giving all disposables etc...
thanks!

Can you share the recipe (for the sauce)?

CatLady

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 6:13 pm
Quote:

If I were recovering from childbirth, surgery, or any of the health-related reasons for receiving a meal, I'd be very happy not to have to serve multiple courses. When I'm tired or recovering from surgery, I just wanna shovel it in ASAP and get back to healing. But I stand by my suggestion of oranges, simply because they're refreshing and I always feel dehydrated after hospitalization.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 6:16 pm
The stir-fry sounds delicious, and yes, it's a complete meal.

busydev

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 7:09 pm
thanks she said it was great. I sent a few uncooked mini peppers in case anyone doesnt like it cooked.

sweet and sour chicken recipe:
1 lb chicken breast, bite size pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 T oil
2 carrots, sliced thinly (I leave out)
1 green or red bell pepper, chunked (I use the mini pepper so have a few in diff colors to equal 1 regular bell pepper)
1 medium onion, chunked
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (20oz) pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
1/2 c ketchup
1/3 c brown sugar
1 T corn starch
1 T soy sauce
1 t ground ginger
grated peel and juice from 1 lemon (I just use a splash of lemon juice)

season chicken with salt and pepper, brown in a skillet with oils. reduce heat and add vegetables and garlic, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
combine pineapple juice, ketchup, brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger, lemon juice. stir into skillet. cover and simmer 5 min.
stir in pineapple chunks until heated through.
serve over rice.

from insert with the dole pineapple chunks.

Vanilla

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 10:24 pm
This looks great. If I was receiving a meal like this, I'd be thrilled! ( Pb&J for anyone in my house who is picky about it)!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus