Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Britney Spears bald
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:02 pm
withhumor wrote:
There’s also the beauty of chumros passed down from generation to generation. If you take on, you take all which in turn makes you a better believer, a stronger Yirei Shamayim, and ultimately, as frum as you can stand it. If one shaves but her mother doesn’t, she’s not only taking upon herself and extra chumra, she’s also starting a new chain to be passé don to her children. Can she handle that? Can you handle dressing like a chassid but not behaving like one? It’s a question we all need to ask ourselves everyday. Should I dress like a frum jew and then push into a line at the supermarket…? Know your limits.

I do understand the beauty of things that are passed down through the generations. I get that sometimes it's not just the thing itself, but the fact that it is part of such a tradition that makes it special.

I'm not sure, OTOH, about the part about starting a new chain. If something was never the practice in one's family, and if one doesn't see a specific halachic need for a particular practice, I don't really see where one "plugs in". For someone like me, it would be a radical departure from my family's practice, and very difficult to justify without a solid halachic grounding.

I do get the point about needing to act a certain way if one dresses a certain way. I know people who are reluctant to wear kippot if they don't think they will always measure up, and people who wear baseball caps while driving or travelling in case they should cause a chillul Hashem during a moment of stress. I'm not sure how this relates to shaving - would the average person know whether or not someone shaves underneath a sheital?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:05 pm
JKR, that's b/c you're outside, looking in. That's how With was raised. It's very different.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:45 pm
As I said, I do understand the part about continuing a tradition. This wasn't a criticism of the decision of With Humor or any other chassidishe woman.

It was more of a head-scratching over the comment about the woman who starts shaving when her mother didn't - I really didn't get the logic behind that comment.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 4:17 pm
JRK, I'm sure you have heard of other minhagim that ppl adopted.

withhumor

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:15 pm
All I meant was that when you adopt something new, be aware that it’s not just for you, your child will feel ‘guilty’ for not doing it too, and when you get older and a bit menopausal you may feel ‘hurt’ that she doesn’t do it too. That’s all I’m saying.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:21 pm
JRKmommy wrote:

It was more of a head-scratching over the comment about the woman who starts shaving when her mother didn't - I really didn't get the logic behind that comment.

baal t'shuvas and gerim do that all the time - stray away from their family and take on minhagim..... Scratching Head what's there to scratch!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics