Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos menu for me, DH, and older guys

allthingsblue

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 7:54 pm
We are having older guys over for Shabbos lunch. Any ideas of what to make?
On the menu so far is:
Cholent
Chicken cutlets

I don't make potato kugel. I am looking for another cheap meat/chicken dish, and some side dishes/salads that guys like. Easy, please! Thanks all!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:03 pm
I do Israeli Couscous with sauteed mushrooms and onions...easy and yummy!

A simple salad usually goes over okay.

Deli wraps (wraps with ketchup, mustard, mayo, any deli and coleslaw rolled into a log and cut into small pieces which are secured with a toothpick)

cold potato salad

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:21 pm
noodle kugel (sweet or salt and pepper)
challah kugel

coleslaw
pickles
pasta salad
taco salad

deli roll
meatloaf

cs1

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:21 pm
For first course, I usually make the following:
Potato salad
sushi salad
hearts of palm salad
tomato salad
ceaser salad

gold21

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 8:31 pm
Deli roll?

greenfire

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:16 am
just buy cold cuts

make potatoe salad and/or pasta salad - filling & inexpensive

don't forget the beer

3mitzvos

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:43 am
wings?

Chicken borekas? (Take puff pastry squares and fill with seasoned rice, sauteed onion, mushrooms, peppers, and a piece of chicken breast. Fold over puff pastry to make a triangle. Bake at 350F until golden) Everyone usually loves these! and there's no sauce, so no problem with heating it up Shabbos day Smile

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:44 am
I have older guys all the time (my sons plus friends) - This week my 3 sons - 17, 20 and 25 were home plus 2 (20 yo) friends plus my parents plus DH so I think that counts as having older guys

We start with Challah - Are you in Israel? Don't remember but I think not since you said shicken cutlets and not shnitzel. Doesn't matter but we have chumous and techina with the challah so if your guys don't eat that, have something similar. plus 2 salads - tossed and a cabbage salad. Our Challah course lasts long - we ate two big challahs (get the idea? fill the guys up at the start)

Then for the meal we had

Shnitzel
cholent
Deli roll
sweet potatoes
coucous salad
Rice!!
(the tossed salad and cabbage salad are still on the table from the start)

I don't think we had dessert. We only had 1 cake for Shabbat so we ate it Friday night and kiddush

PS - the only things I made was the cholent and challah (I don't always bake challah) - Those big guys (and girls) do most the cooking for Shabbat

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 10:47 am
Rutabaga wrote:
noodle kugel (sweet or salt and pepper)
challah kugel

coleslaw
pickles
pasta salad
taco salad

deli roll
meatloaf

What is challah kugel?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:09 am
Like a bread pudding. You soak old stale challah to soften it (I save bits and pieces of leftover challah in the freezer until I have enough) and then mix it with eggs and seasoning and bake it. I know people who make a sweet version (soak the challah in vanilla soy milk and add sugar and cinnamon).

My family prefers a savory version. I sautee finely chopped onions, mushrooms, and red pepper (you could add celery or other veggies) and season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. I remove the crust from the challah and briefly soak the challah in water. I pour enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then heat it in the oven while prepping the kugel mix. I squeeze out the water from the challah and rip it into little pieces. Then I mix the challah with the sautéed veggies and a couple of eggs. Add some more seasoning if necessary. Then I pour the hot oil in, give it a quick mix and pour the whole mixture into the pan and bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:12 am
Am I the only one who thought you were hosting several octogenarians (older guys?!?!) and was going to suggest herring, ptcha, and compote .......

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:34 am
Is there a way to save a recipe that I see on a thread? I thought that marking it "recipe" saved them, and I just found out that it does not.... /sigh/

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 1:37 pm
superdanni wrote:
Am I the only one who thought you were hosting several octogenarians (older guys?!?!) and was going to suggest herring, ptcha, and compote .......

That's funny! I guess it's all relative... Never thought of it that way...

Thanks all, for your help!

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 2:10 pm
Deli pockets! They're super easy and guy-friendly Wink
Mix equal parts honey and mustard in a bowl.
Dip each slice of pastrami in the sauce.
Fold or roll the pastrami and place in the center of a puff pastry square.
Fold the corners to the middle, pinching closed so that the pocket won't open when baking.
Drizzle tops with duck sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds.
Bake until pockets are fluffy and golden.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus