Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Refrigerating challah dough

emunahmother

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:27 pm
I want to know if I can make the dough put it in the fridge, come back a few hours later and let it rise and them the rest of the process. Is this possible?

Am I able to prepare dough and then refrigerate it and use it a few hours later?

If yes is it better to have risen that hour before putting in the fridge or does can I put it in right after I put it all together and finished kneading it?

Also when I take it out does it have to sit and warm up before letting it rise?

Will it kill the yeast and make it not work?

goodmorning

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 11:32 pm
Yes, you can refrigerate dough. It doesn't kill the yeast, but it slows down the rising process. When you take it out, you will need to let it come back to room temperature and finish rising (preferably in a warm place).

Do you usually let your dough rise twice? If so, I would let it rise the first time and then refrigerate it (and then remove it and let it finish rising for the second time).

I often refrigerate dough overnight -- make dough Thursday night, rise once, stick in fridge overnight, pull out Friday morning, bring to room temperature and braid. If you leave it in the fridge for long enough, it will rise, so make sure to leave enough room!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads