Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Recipe for Nile Perch

It'sMe

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 1:03 pm
ISO a good recipe for Nile Perch either grilled or baked, preferably without Mayo.? TIA

Success10

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 2:20 pm
You can do it sfardi style! YUMM! I don't have an exact recipe to give you, I mean I might have it somewhere, but I didn't get right, probably because I'm as Ashkenazi as they come!

mandksima

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 3:15 pm
Maybe that means Moroccan Fish? I layer thinly sliced veggies on the bottom of a deep pan (potatoes, peppers, onions, zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots) , I drizzle a little olive oil and salt on them. I squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the fish and place it over the veggies. Add salt and pepper and minced fresh garlic. Mix up a marinade - olive oil, a little water, lots of paprika, a little hot paprika (cayenne), drop of tumeric. Pour it over everything evenly, sprinkle chopped parsley or cilantro and cover and bake at 350 until all the veggies are soft. (At least an hour for me, maybe more if veggies aren't sliced thinly enough.)

Success10

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 3:23 pm
This is basically what my sfardi neighbor told me to do when I made it, but it wasn't infused with flavor the way I had wanted. Should I have marinated it first?

mandksima

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 3:31 pm
I often put the lemon on the fish first while I slice the veggies so that sits a bit. The only thing I found to make it perfect was to add enough salt. Sometimes it comes out better than other times, I'm not sure why!

Oh, I forgot, I also slice a tomato and put it on top before the marinade on some pieces as not everyone here like it that way.

It'sMe

Post Mon, Dec 02 2013, 10:31 pm
Thanks so much mandksima. I used ur recipe last night and we all loved it Smile

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 2:20 am
So glad!

It'sMe

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:37 pm
Made this recipe countless times since it was posted. Think we're just about getting bored of it Very Happy Anyone has any other good recipes for nile perch?

centurion

Post Thu, May 08 2014, 9:55 pm
Since nile perch is such a sturdy fish, any recipe for saucy chicken (think sweet and sour) should work with nile perch as well.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, May 09 2014, 8:00 am
Normal seasoning for baked fish should do. Nile Perch has its own oil in the skin so cook with skins on (that prevents burning/drying), no need to add mayo.

Coat with seasoning mix (I usually get hawaji with turmeric), let it marinate with a dash of lemon or orange juice then bake loosely covered.

Similar cooking method but cover with pesto. Or curry sauce (Nile Perch is firm enough to be made into fish curry).

Or if you want something simple and clean tasting, try pan-frying with chopped garlic and tarragon.

I tend to make Moroccan fish (the one with tomato sauce, coriander, preserved lemon) usually with cod (if not with unsweetened gefilte fish made into balls). Nile perch would be a bit thin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics