Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
A mess

amother

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:28 pm
That is how I categorize my house.

I did the following things today, and yet, I still feel like I didn't get much accomplished. I work full time, DH doesn't lift a finger (Long story and nobody home there).

Signed up for mysimpleology.com
Made a weekly menu
Washed Shabbos dishes
Soaked crock pot
Did 2 loads of laundry
Washed the floors
Prepared a big batch of tuna salad for lunch for the next couple of days
Made Lunch

All this in between parenting and holding down the fort.

ughhhh!

ROFL

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:38 pm
I am messy too but I am trying hard to be more organized
Did you ever think of using crock pot bags for your cholent. I usually put lots of water between bag and the crockpot and cleaning after Shabbat is one two three.
For weekly menu, depending on how old your kids are, I go very simple. Pasta is a staple and easy to make. Instead of meatballs I make meat sauce. Brown ground meat add spices addd tomato sauce , put over pasta !

How do you feel about frozen food. Make double and freeze for the following week. I can't do that one but maybe you can

With cleaning I am using lots of Clorox wipes. I put a lot of them all over the house and then wipe and throw out.
Good luck to you. I know it is hard job to keep things in order.

boysrus

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:46 pm
ROFL wrote:
I am messy too but I am trying hard to be more organized
Did you ever think of using crock pot bags for your cholent. I usually put lots of water between bag and the crockpot and cleaning after Shabbat is one two three.
For weekly menu, depending on how old your kids are, I go very simple. Pasta is a staple and easy to make. Instead of meatballs I make meat sauce. Brown ground meat add spices addd tomato sauce , put over pasta !

How do you feel about frozen food. Make double and freeze for the following week. I can't do that one but maybe you can

With cleaning I am using lots of Clorox wipes. I put a lot of them all over the house and then wipe and throw out.
Good luck to you. I know it is hard job to keep things in order.

ROFL, you offer good tips. I wish all your tips would work for me, my fussy eaters will not eat meatsauce, it has to be meatballs, nothing else will do, and recently I have been on a meatball strike - I cannot be bothered to make meatballs. Smile

another tip to help keep things clean longer = use disposable dishes and cutlery if you can afford to, it saves so much mess and work... and the dishes don t end up sitting in the sink forever...

black and white

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 10:59 pm
Hey Op pat yourself in the back, you have done quite a bit today.
What works for me are TO DO LISTS
nothing fancy just a piece of paper and a pen
write down what takes priority for the day
don't make it too long, so it actually gets done
best part is crossing out chores that got done.
it gives you a sense of accomplishment and encourages you to continue forward.
my husband sometimes peaks at it, and surprises me by doing some of the things on the list and has the pleasure of crossing it out himself.
I am very organized and lists are my secret weapon.
best of luck

seeker

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 11:57 pm
If it's any help, you did more than I ever do!
ITA with the advice to use disposables. I used to be environmentally conscious, now I'm just mentally conscious - I know I will go crazy if I have to keep dealing with mounds of accumulating dishes plus the pressure that if I don't do them nobody has anything to eat off. A total of about $10-15 a month (get the cheapo kind... and depends on your family size and whether you use regular things in between) saves me hours of work plus that ughy feeling that something still needs to get done. With that kind of math, I think anyone who pays a cleaning lady to wash dishes is insane.

zaq

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
That is how I categorize my house.

I did the following things today, and yet, I still feel like I didn't get much accomplished. I work full time, DH doesn't lift a finger (Long story and nobody home there).

Signed up for mysimpleology.com
Made a weekly menu
Washed Shabbos dishes
Soaked crock pot
Did 2 loads of laundry
Washed the floors
Prepared a big batch of tuna salad for lunch for the next couple of days
Made Lunch

All this in between parenting and holding down the fort.

ughhhh!

Doesn't sound so bad to me. You don't say how many kids you have or their ages but I assume most of your time was spent doing things with/doing things to/running after them. You need to be realistic about how much can be accomplished while parenting and holding down the fort.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:13 pm
boysrus wrote:
ROFL, you offer good tips. I wish all your tips would work for me, my fussy eaters will not eat meatsauce, it has to be meatballs, nothing else will do, and recently I have been on a meatball strike - I cannot be bothered to make meatballs. Smile

another tip to help keep things clean longer = use disposable dishes and cutlery if you can afford to, it saves so much mess and work... and the dishes don t end up sitting in the sink forever...

boysrus, do yourself a favor. make quick meatballs. throw the ground beef in a ziplock bag with some spices. no egg/breadcrumb/filler required. zip the top, knead it all together from the outside. use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop to form the meatballs. it'll cut down on the prep time, and clean up is quick.

ROFL

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 11:27 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
boysrus, do yourself a favor. make quick meatballs. throw the ground beef in a ziplock bag with some spices. no egg/breadcrumb/filler required. zip the top, knead it all together from the outside. use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop to form the meatballs. it'll cut down on the prep time, and clean up is quick.

Great idea! I love it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics