Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Low fodmaps: What do you do with no onions/garlic?!

seeker

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:34 pm
I literally use onions and/or garlic in almost everything I eat! If I'm not sure how to make something taste good, I toss in some onions or garlic. Or onion powder or garlic powder. Or fried onions or crushed garlic. It's what I do for flavor. Yes, I know about other spices too, but this is my basic staple.

I've been having some tummy distress and am thinking maybe I should try the fodmaps elimination diet. So far dairy and gluten don't seem to be the culprits (though wheat doesn't either as long as it's whole, and wheat is one of the fodmaps, so I have no idea if I'm on the right track at all... just running out of ideas) so I guess this is next to try.

No idea what I will do with no onions AND garlic, though! Help!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:37 pm
Get creative! Curry powder, cumin, ethnic mixes like creole/Italian/Yemenite.

seeker

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:41 pm
Yeah so I usually use those flavors WITH onions and/or garlic.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:44 pm
Maybe a little sugar if you use caramelized onions a lot for sweetness?

SS6099

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:56 pm
Oh I don't touch onions and garlic either for my GI issues. As a substitution I shred carrots and sautée in oil till soft. Sometimes with shredded zucchini as well. Adds tons of flavor.
I also did learn to live without it Sad Got used to it and being that I feel so much better, it's easier to do without.
I use it for my family though.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:04 am
you can use onion and garlic as long as you fry them for about 20 min first. Good luck

mo5

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:22 am
You can use garlic infused oil - without the garlic pieces but still has the flavor.
Also Fodmaps is a catch-all of a whole bunch of food molecules.
Some people have a greater/lesser tolerance for specific ones.
So some pple can't handle wheat but onion and garlic are fine, others can't handle the onions and fructose containing fruit but are fine with wheat efc.

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 7:57 am
Try spelt instead of wheat.
I can have cauliflower but not broccoli.

(Hm, how about onions but not leeks, garlic but not shallots, pears but not apples? JK...Actually I can't have any raw fruit.

BUT: when I am having a bad day I just eat very very plain, no onions and garlic. When I feel okay I live it up!

You could try keeping a food diary and trying various FODMAPS to see which ones are okay for you.)

seeker

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:46 pm
Thanks for the ideas and insights. I did not realize it may not include cooked onions and garlic, I suppose I will have to experiment. I also didn't realize that some foods could be OK, I thought the idea was to have low fodmaps overall. There's a lot I don't really understand about it, but it seems intriguing especially since I haven't been able to figure out a simpler pattern (e.g. stop dairy = stop stomachaches, eat wheat = get stomachache... none of that)

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:52 pm
If you are open to alternative practitioners, sometimes they can help you set up a food plan more easily.

seeker

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:54 pm
What type of "alternative?"

SS6099

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:59 pm
Check out these websites for more info. Kate Scarlata has an amazing blog about her IBS with tips and recipes worth checking out.

http://www.health.arizona.edu/.....t.pdf

http://blog.katescarlata.com/f.....list/

You could also go to a good nutritionist familiar with this diet.

I've been on it for over a year now with great results (in combination with scd) so feel free to pm me with any questions!

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 1:05 pm
Well, there are things like homeopathy and chiropractic that can help your digestion work better, nutritional supplements such as probiotics.

Also Applied Kinesiology (this link is not a very sympathetic treatment but you can research it further.)

tryinghard

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 7:36 pm
I just read in reader's Digest that apples can cause digestive issues. I was skeptical, but since I eat tons of apples, I figured, hey, let's give it a shot. Well, I found that they were indeed the culprit in my diet. (Now I'm just sadly missing my apples) Could this possibly be the case for you?

penguin

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 8:11 pm
Trying hard, have you tried applesauce or cooked apples?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 8:18 pm
penguin wrote:
Trying hard, have you tried applesauce or cooked apples?

or no apple skins? my nutritionist says they wreak havoc on your tummy

SS6099

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:12 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
or no apple skins? my nutritionist says they wreak havoc on your tummy

Apples are one of the fruits of the highest id fodmaps. And pears Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking