Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Rethinking Shabbos lunch: For when summer comes!
Previous  1  2

3mitzvos

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 3:19 pm
So, I used to just serve cholent, but recently my dd refuses to eat the meat from it. So, I started making shnitzel also. Sometimes, if we're having guests or I'm in a great mood with time on my hands, I'll make chicken borekas. They are great cold or warm! (chicken breast and rice w/sauteed veggies inside folded-over puff pastry).

manyhats

Post Sun, May 11 2014, 9:28 pm
3m,

chicken borekas, sounds great! Hot or cold. Different and not too difficult.

studying_torah

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 3:35 pm
my dh just told me he doesn't like grilled or baked cutlets..... (unless it's breaded in crumbs and baked).
And none of us like the skin on chicken, so there goes the roasted chicken idea. oy!
However, dh loves pot pie- do you have a good recipe? alot of the online recipes have a milchig sauce inside. how does the bottom dough not get soggy by shabbos day? and how do you warm the pot pie up?

sweetpotato

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 4:11 pm
This past Shabbos lunch our hostess served a london broil, which she marinated (I tasted soy sauce, not sure what else--there are many recipes online). It was sliced and served room temperature--really good! But it shouldn't be an issue to warm it, since it's not in a sauce, just marinated before cooking.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 4:44 pm
studying_torah wrote:
my dh just told me he doesn't like grilled or baked cutlets..... (unless it's breaded in crumbs and baked).
And none of us like the skin on chicken, so there goes the roasted chicken idea. oy!
However, dh loves pot pie- do you have a good recipe? alot of the online recipes have a milchig sauce inside. how does the bottom dough not get soggy by shabbos day? and how do you warm the pot pie up?

roasting the chicken with the skin on provides moisture to the meat, but lots of people remove the skin before eating. some of the spices will rub onto the meat while you carve it. I recommend you try roasting it once. I very much doubt you'll regret it.

studying_torah

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 5:01 pm
no dh doesn't like it roasted w/ the skin on bec he says the chicken has no flavor once I take it off.
oh and he doesn't like cold roast either.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 5:02 pm
I make chicken pot pie with a top crust only as I don't like soggy crusts either.

I use this recipe http://www.bonappetit.com/reci.....t-pie subbing the 1/3 cup cream for almond milk.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:46 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I have a pot pie recipe that only has dough on top. It's delicious but it is has a sauce so you need to find out if you can warm it up on shabbos.

studying_torah wrote:
no dh doesn't like it roasted w/ the skin on bec he says the chicken has no flavor once I take it off.
oh and he doesn't like cold roast either.

I always pull the skin back, leaving just one side still attached, and season under the skin very very generously making sure to get it everywhere. Then I cover the meat again with the skin. I hardly care about the seasoning on the actual chicken skin, just paprika for color and a touch more seasoning Smile

yaelinIN

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 11:13 pm
I makegalettes - fish (canned salmon or tuna, minced onion, carrot, celery, dill, mayo or egg, salt and pepper) or ground meat (cooked and spiced with cilantro, parsley, onion and garlic, salt and pepper, sometimes coriander and cumin, then add in 1 egg per galette/lb of meat after cooled a bit) for Shabbos lunch (Meat last week, salmon the week before).

I make my crust with equal amounts of olive oil and water with a little salt (and a little baking powder if you want) and flour to make a med-soft dough. Let rest for 5-15 minutes and roll out (use flour or parchment paper to roll out). Put filling in, you need 3-4 inches of crust around the filling not covered by filling. Fold over artistically in the galette manner. Bake at 400 until filling is cooked and galette is brown. The crust is flaky (if you add the baking powder, it will be more light and poofy). You can eat this room temp or hot on the plata as it is dry. Don't leave it on all night. It should look like this.

I make a refreshing cold fruit soup (pureed fruit of choice with fruit juice that will not overpower flavor and color of fruit. I make two contrasting colors (mango and mixed berries, blueberry and peach, strawberry and peach) and do the pour in each at the same time and swirl artistically), Then have salatim (green salad, hummus, eggplant, carrot, tomato-balsamic vin, etc) and then the galette and some starch and two more veggies and then dessert.

manyhats

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 10:59 pm
yl,

Sounds yummy and creative and well thought out.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note