Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Why soup stock

greenfire

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 3:31 pm
if you're already making soup with flavorful ingredients - why on earth would you need stock ? isn't it the water drained from something you've already cooked ... why not just add water to your sauteed beef or veggies & thereby have a soup ...

it drives me nutso that every recipe I look for has some sort of added stock ...

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 3:34 pm
I use water if I don't have stock available. I save my leftover chicken soup to add to other recipes. it adds flavor, but that doesn't make it a necessary ingredient.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 3:44 pm
I never add stock to soup, but when I have a recipe, not soup, that calls for stock, I'm stuck because I never have stock. If I attempt to make stock, it ends up being soup and finished before I could do anything with it. Confused

Pineapple

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 3:48 pm
I just use water with spices

zaq

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 4:26 pm
It enriches the flavor. Most of the time I use water and lots of spices, but when I happen to have stock, it's much better. BTW I borrowed an idea from a former poster, Seraph, who had a frugal living blog a ways back. She said the parts of veggies we normally discard such as the cabbage core and ribs and core of bell pepper are chock-full of flavor and nutrition. So when I make salads, I collect the wilted lettuce and cabbage leaves, sprouted onions, pepper ribs and so on, freeze them in a ziplok bag, and, when I have enough, boil them up in a pot. Then I either make soup immediately, or freeze the stock for a day when I need to stretch a soup or am making soup and haven't a lot of veggies.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 4:29 pm
zaq wrote:
It enriches the flavor. Most of the time I use water and lots of spices, but when I happen to have stock, it's much better. BTW I borrowed an idea from a former poster, Seraph, who had a frugal living blog a ways back. She said the parts of veggies we normally discard such as the cabbage core and ribs and core of bell pepper are chock-full of flavor and nutrition. So when I make salads, I collect the wilted lettuce and cabbage leaves, sprouted onions, pepper ribs and so on, freeze them in a ziplok bag, and, when I have enough, boil them up in a pot. Then I either make soup immediately, or freeze the stock for a day when I need to stretch a soup or am making soup and haven't a lot of veggies.

the moosewood cookbooks recommend you do this. I think they have a list of good veggies to use for this.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 6:55 pm
I would only add stock as a time saver. Takes less time to get that rich flavor.
However, I prefer to use my pressure cooker and save time that way instead.

Ruchel

Post Sat, May 17 2014, 5:32 pm
Do you mean a ready made preparation? I never use that.
Or do you mean broth (what they call bulyon is Yiddish and bouillon in French)? then it's very different from soup, I use one or the other depending on what is needed.?

Odelyah

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:42 am
This has been a pet peeve of mine for years! I love soup and I love reading recipes, and almost all soup recipes call for stock, which I am not in the habit of, or interested in making. This is why I love the soup recipes in Spice and Spirit. It is the only cookbook I've found, kosher or not, that has quite a few excellent soup recipes that are just made from scratch with healthy ingredients and water. A couple of my favorites start with a mirepoix (sauteed onions, celery and carrots). This adds a lot of flavor without needing stock (or soup mix-- blech Smile )

daisy

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 2:29 pm
If I have leftover chicken soup, I use that. Sometimes I buy the boxes of vegetable broth at Trader Joe's. Otherwise, I just use water and few extra spices. No one really notices the difference.

Odelyah

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 9:43 pm
daisy wrote:
If I have leftover chicken soup, I use that. Sometimes I buy the boxes of vegetable broth at Trader Joe's. Otherwise, I just use water and few extra spices. No one really notices the difference.

I know, in spite of my preference for stock-free recipes, I have two soups that I make for yom tov that call for broth. (And I think if I just used water and extra spices for these recipes they wouldn't taste as good.) For one of them (zucchini soup) I use leftover chicken soup, and it's very delicious. But I only make it for yom tov because leftover chicken soup doesn't really exist in my house because we're chicken soup-aholics. I have to make an effort to put some aside before it gets eaten. And I need to make a big pot of zucchini soup so it really needs a lot of chicken soup. So it's like making two soups for one soup.

And I have a butternut squash soup that I make, also a really fantastic recipe, that uses broth and I get the boxes of no-chicken broth from the health food store. But I also only make it for yom tov because I don't usually want to spend money on the boxes of broth.

Which is why I totally get what greenfire is talking about...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics