Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Caramel or Butterscotch ice cream

ilovesem

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 8:30 am
I am looking for a Parev recipe to make this Shabbos. Would really appreciate your help! Thanks

Lizzie4

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:51 am
The pralines and cream semifreddo (ice- cream)from the Bais Yaakov cookbook is awesome!
8 large eggs separated
1 cup of sugar
2 (8 ounce) containers non dairy whipping cream, not whipped
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 cup of pancake syrup
1 cup of peanut brittle

TO DO:
1- beat egg whites in electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar slowly until stiff peaks form. Set aside
2-in a sep bowl beat non-dairy whipping cream for about 4 minutes. Add yolks. Beat till combined. Add Vanilla sugar and pancake syrup. Beat.
3-Fold yolk mixture into egg whites mixture. Place in container and freeze for 30 minutes
4- remove ice cream from freezer and fold in 3/4 cup peanut brittle. sprinke rest over top of ice cream. Freeze.

16 servings.

mandksima

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 9:53 am
My dd is begging me to make this again. It was really good and I used healthier ingredients, problem is - I ate too much so I don't want to make it so quickly again. You have to keep stirring so a little annoying to make frequently. It is a custard recipe so no raw eggs either!

Caramel ice cream

2 cans coconut milk (not low fat)
1 C coconut sugar (can use regular)
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla

Combine 1 can coconut milk with sugar and salt in saucepan. Bring to boil on med/high heat, stirring constantly so sugar dissolves. once boiling, reduce heat and cook until darkened and reduced, about 20-30 minutes Should look very thick. Meanwhile, beat yolks and set aside. Add 2nd can of coconut milk to pot stir to integrate. When very hot but not boiling, temper the yolks by whisking very slowly into yolk mixture, 1 cup of the caramel mixture. Turn heat to low and pour yolks into the pot, stir and cook until thickened, about 2 min. Remove from heat, pour into container and add in vanilla. Refrigerate overnight and either put into ice cream maker or use stick blender after slightly frozen and then again once more. Defrost slightly before serving so it is scoopable.

ilovesem

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:29 am
Amazing thanks so much to both of you.
What is peanut brittle? Excuse my ignorance, and is there a way to make this?

Lizzie4

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:37 am
Honey roasted peanuts work just as well. You can buy them at your local grocery.

ilovesem

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:17 am
Thanks

myname1

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:52 am
Quote:
Caramel ice cream

2 cans coconut milk (not low fat)
1 C coconut sugar (can use regular)
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla

Combine 1 can coconut milk with sugar and salt in saucepan. Bring to boil on med/high heat, stirring constantly so sugar dissolves. once boiling, reduce heat and cook until darkened and reduced, about 20-30 minutes Should look very thick. Meanwhile, beat yolks and set aside. Add 2nd can of coconut milk to pot stir to integrate. When very hot but not boiling, temper the yolks by whisking very slowly into yolk mixture, 1 cup of the caramel mixture. Turn heat to low and pour yolks into the pot, stir and cook until thickened, about 2 min. Remove from heat, pour into container and add in vanilla. Refrigerate overnight and either put into ice cream maker or use stick blender after slightly frozen and then again once more. Defrost slightly before serving so it is scoopable.

How big is a can of coconut milk? Is there a reason it needs to be coconut as opposed to soy milk? Seems like it's just a replacement for milk in a custard.

mandksima

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:13 am
A can of coconut milk is 14 oz/400 grams.

I don't believe soy milk is a healthy replacement for dairy so I don't use it and don't post recipes with it. It might come out totally fine with it though. Coconut milk is fattier and might make it taste better. Let us know!

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:48 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
The pralines and cream semifreddo (ice- cream)from the Bais Yaakov cookbook is awesome!
8 large eggs separated
1 cup of sugar
2 (8 ounce) containers non dairy whipping cream, not whipped
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 cup of pancake syrup
1 cup of peanut brittle

TO DO:
1- beat egg whites in electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar slowly until stiff peaks form. Set aside
2-in a sep bowl beat non-dairy whipping cream for about 4 minutes. Add yolks. Beat till combined. Add Vanilla sugar and pancake syrup. Beat.
3-Fold yolk mixture into egg whites mixture. Place in container and freeze for 30 minutes
4- remove ice cream from freezer and fold in 3/4 cup peanut brittle. sprinke rest over top of ice cream. Freeze.

16 servings.

I thought this sounded so good, and I actually had peanut brittle in my house for a different recipe. I just made it and everyone wanted to taste it. We all loved it. Thank you.

myname1

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 1:15 am
Quote:
I don't believe soy milk is a healthy replacement for dairy so I don't use it and don't post recipes with it. It might come out totally fine with it though. Coconut milk is fattier and might make it taste better. Let us know!

So I tried it last night. The soy milk and sugar didn't thicken, so I thought it was because there wasn't enough fat in the soy milk. So I added a bit of margarine I had and when that didn't help, I added some oil. It never thickened, so I gave up and just did the rest of the recipe. It was very watery, but tasted pretty good. I blended with a stick blender this morning, and it made a somewhat creamy texture. It boiled over on the stove before I added the margarine/oil, and that spilled bit did thicken into a caramel sauce when it cooled, so I have a feeling that if I had skipped my additions, I might have had more success.

I looked up making caramel from soy milk, and it looks like you can start with just burning the sugar and then add a bit of the soy milk to thin it out to how you want it. Could be I'll try that next time.
http://vegweb.com/recipes/easy.....sauce
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics