Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Attn: teaching assistants and teachers who have them

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 12:33 am
In a slightly strange situation that I don't wish to fully explain here, I will soon be giving a professional development workshop to elementary school teaching assistants on how to maximize their potential in the classroom - however, I have never had a teaching assistant, the teachers I usually coach/PD don't have teaching assistants, basically this is not a role I am very familiar with. I have some ideas but would be very very VERY grateful if people closer to this situation, both teachers and assistants, can help me out by sharing what you would like from such a seminar -
questions or problems that you would like to have addressed?
things that as a teacher you wish your assistants knew or would do?
In your opinion, what makes the difference between a great assistant and one who isn't?
What tips do you have for communication and collaboration between the classroom teacher and assistant?
How do you view or define the role of a teaching assistant in the (yeshiva) elementary school classroom?

I'm also a little worried because I don't want to say something too basic that will make them feel insulted or underestimated. I'm really not sure how much these people already know or do. Confused
I have about a half hour from start to finish so it can't be TOO deep, but I do want to give them something of substance. I'd hate for anyone to feel they've wasted a half hour.

Any kind of input is most appreciated!

ectomorph

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:42 am
I was a teacher's assistant in higher education for several years, which is very different than in elementary school, but I think some things are the same.

One important piece of advice for any level: You need to be careful to keep your role that of the assistant. Don't try to compete with the teacher or develop personal relationships without the teacher's supervision.

If you see the teacher making a mistake, let the teacher get the credit for catching it... I.e. ask it as a question, don't make it look like they made a mistake.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:50 am
Ectomorph has a good point. OTOH an assistant is often called on to be the sub so needs to have classroom management skills too.
I think I'm an effective assistant. I've been working with this teacher for years and have organized her files and can anticipate what will need to be copied, etc.

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 8:00 pm
Thanks for sharing. Bumping in the hope of generating some more discussion... Surely there must be some elementary school teachers here who have assistants? Or more assistants who maybe feel less confident and proficient and can share questions or concerns?

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:23 pm
OP here, with a new detail I did not know before: The audience is going to be assistants of kindergarten, Pre-1-A, and 1st grade classes. This is so not my comfort zone, but I really want to do this well! Eek.

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 10:34 pm
I wrote an article that was published by my professional's organization about having teaching assistants & how to work with assistants in the class room. If you PM me, I will hunt it up-- I think I have a PDF of it, or the original word document.

I may have some other materials if I look for them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics