Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Fried eggplant salad

Pineapple

Post Sun, May 18 2014, 5:53 pm
Anyone have a recipe?

Pineapple

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:20 am
Bump

mom4many

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:35 am
I have a bunch actually. The most simple is to slice/cube eggplant, sprinkle salt & let sit in a colander for an hr. rinse, drain & deep fry.

There's another recipe where the eggplant is first fried then cooked in a tomatoey sauce.

And then I have a baked lowfat version of "fried" eggplant.

Tell me what interests you.

penguin

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:48 am
I oven fry it. Chop 1 eggplant, 1 red pepper, 1 onion in small cubes (I'd say about the width of my thumbnail). Sprinkle olive oil, mix well. Garlic if you like, or roast a head separately. Bake on 450, stirring every 10 min or so, til nicely browned. simple, easy & delish!

mom4many

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:56 am
penguin wrote:
I oven fry it. Chop 1 eggplant, 1 red pepper, 1 onion in small cubes (I'd say about the width of my thumbnail). Sprinkle olive oil, mix well. Garlic if you like, or roast a head separately. Bake on 450, stirring every 10 min or so, til nicely browned. simple, easy & delish!

That's very similar to my recipe. I don't use onion, but I add sliced garlic & cilantro for the last 10 min. Of baking.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 1:35 pm
(Serves as one of appetizer salatim for 8-10 people)

2 large aubergines
flour, salt and pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, minced coarsly
2-3 salad onions, cleaned, topped/tailed and chopped including green parts
1tbsp tomato paste
paprika
cumin
juice from 1/2 lemon

Wash, top and tail aubergines. Slice in 3/4-inch thick disks, then cut into match-stick strips. Place in a bowl, sprinkle 1tbsp salt and leave for 30min to 45min. Squeeze out brown liquid that accumulated and rinse off salt. Pat dry. Season flour with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over aubergines.
In a large skillet, heat oil till it's very hot (this way aubergines don't absorb too much oil in cooking and turn greasy). Fry only enough aubergines in batches to make a single layer. Fry till golden brown on both sides, stirring occasionally. You may need to add oil as you fly subsequent batches, make sure it is very hot before adding aubergines. Once fried, remove aubergines in a slotted spoon to papertowels to absorb extra oil. After the last batch, fry garlic till it is just about to turn colour. Turn off heat and add salad onions. Dilute tomato paste with lemon juice, and dress aubergines, fried garlic and salad onion. Add generous dash of paprika. Add a dash of cumin. This needs to marinade for at least 1hour.

We like our salad on tart side so skip sugar, but you may want to add 1-2 teasp sugar to the dressing if you find lemon juice/tomato paste to be too tart for your taste.

Oriental aubergine salad
Prepare the aubergine the same way till soaking. No need to coat with flour, but fry in the same way using 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 toasted sesame oil. Instead of garlic use same quantity of chopped fresh garlic. Heat/cook chopped salad onion the same way. For dressing use 2tbsp each soy sauce and rice vinegar. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

mamaleh

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:19 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
(Serves as one of appetizer salatim for 8-10 people)

2 large aubergines
flour, salt and pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, minced coarsly
2-3 salad onions, cleaned, topped/tailed and chopped including green parts
1tbsp tomato paste
paprika
cumin
juice from 1/2 lemon

Wash, top and tail aubergines. Slice in 3/4-inch thick disks, then cut into match-stick strips. Place in a bowl, sprinkle 1tbsp salt and leave for 30min to 45min. Squeeze out brown liquid that accumulated and rinse off salt. Pat dry. Season flour with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over aubergines.
In a large skillet, heat oil till it's very hot (this way aubergines don't absorb too much oil in cooking and turn greasy). Fry only enough aubergines in batches to make a single layer. Fry till golden brown on both sides, stirring occasionally. You may need to add oil as you fly subsequent batches, make sure it is very hot before adding aubergines. Once fried, remove aubergines in a slotted spoon to papertowels to absorb extra oil. After the last batch, fry garlic till it is just about to turn colour. Turn off heat and add salad onions. Dilute tomato paste with lemon juice, and dress aubergines, fried garlic and salad onion. Add generous dash of paprika. Add a dash of cumin. This needs to marinade for at least 1hour.

We like our salad on tart side so skip sugar, but you may want to add 1-2 teasp sugar to the dressing if you find lemon juice/tomato paste to be too tart for your taste.

Oriental aubergine salad
Prepare the aubergine the same way till soaking. No need to coat with flour, but fry in the same way using 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 toasted sesame oil. Instead of garlic use same quantity of chopped fresh garlic. Heat/cook chopped salad onion the same way. For dressing use 2tbsp each soy sauce and rice vinegar. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

What is salad onion?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 4:50 pm
Salad onions are scallions.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 9:47 am
Ra_mom, maybe you should post the link to your marinated eggplant salad. It is SO good!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 20 2014, 6:36 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Ra_mom, maybe you should post the link to your marinated eggplant salad. It is SO good!
Thanks Shopmiami49!
Here is the marinated eggplant recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 9:52 am
Mrs Bissli we tried your recipe and it was finished in 5 minutes!! Very Happy

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 10:18 am
Ruchel wrote:
Mrs Bissli we tried your recipe and it was finished in 5 minutes!! Very Happy

Wow, sefardic style no less Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics