Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Asking a Rav

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 21 2014, 3:46 pm
I guess this is sort of a spin-off of the 'Describe MO' thread.

I keep seeing two stereotypes on this site.
1. *'MO' people do not consult with rabbis. (If you read the other thread you'll see that is not really true.
2. *'Chareidim' consult with rabbis about everything, down to when to change their socks.

*I feel like both terms are broad generalizations that don't quite capture the individual person.

I think it's safe to assume that most people will call a rav when they have a halachic question (nidda, basar v'chalav- unless you know that cold!)

When it comes to other kinds of situations, I think you need to use your head. When you see a suggestion like 'AYLOR', it doesn't simply refer to anyone with semicha. They should also have some sort of expertise. For example, a rav who is also an expert on fertility can be a major help to someone TTC (she might be missing ovulation do to mikva, for example, and get an appropriate heter/advice on getting clean). I haven't yet been in a situation where I needed to ask for a 'heter' for BC, but when I did need to abstain, my rav actually helped me find a more effective method than what my doctor was able to prescribe!

Then there are rabbanim who do NOT pasken- for example, a rav I sometimes go to has remarkable insight on human nature and psych, and is an expert in sholom bayis issues, grief counseling, people who are having challenges with emunah. Someone might prefer speak to a person with a Torah background when they have one of these issues. My rav, though, would have no problem referring someone to a better therapist or psychologist when necessary.

Also, I think it's a common practice for chassidim to go to their rebbe for a bracha before making a major decision, such as a shidduch, new job, or buying a house.

Any other insight on this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics