Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Upgrading Gefilte Fish

wereafamily

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 11:59 am
Hey!

Anyone have a recipe how I can upgrade my gefilte fish to make it "fancier" and tastier - any ideas?

My MIL once served salmon loaf in puff pastry - maybe something like that with gifilte fish. I'm trying to be economical so no salmon.

TIA Tongue Out

smss

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 12:05 pm
saute onions and peppers, add tomato sauce, pour over fish and bake

Fiveboyz

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:19 pm
Let the gefilte fish thaw on the counter. Unroll into a bowl mix with egg, flavored bread crumbs, grated onion and other spices, form into latke type shape and fry.

Torah

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:24 pm
I've seen people defrost the fish, place in a round baking pan, smear olive oil on top, put seasonings on top of the oil. Using paprika makes it pretty. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown on top. Slice into wedges.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 7:32 pm
Ive defrosted gefilte fish enough to slice it. Then breaded and fried. Can top with salsa too.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 7:40 pm
DH loves this, and it's so easy~

Defrost a roll of sweet gefilte fish. Place in a pan, and top with a sliced sweet onion. (You want lots of onion!) Drizzle with about a half a cup or so of honey, and bake until golden and caramelized.

Just be super careful not to let it burn. embarrassed I did that once, it was nasty. When cooked properly, it's amazing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 7:59 pm
You can combine gefilte with defrosted spinach and wrap in pastry.
Or do a tri colored gefilte fish.
Fish balls in tomato sauce.

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 8:40 pm
I sometimes thaw it a bit and put it into individual flaky dough squares then egg them and put sesame seeds and bake.
If you don't tell pple what's inside pple that ate it by me actually thought it was potato inside.
I saw this idea somewhere on this site.

wereafamily

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:22 pm
Thanks everyone!

For this week I did this resipe (I only did the carrots and plain layer):

Three-Coloured Fish Loaf

1 1/2 pounds frozen fish loaf
1 egg beaten
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
pepper to taste
1 (300-g) box chopped spinach defrosted and drained
3 medium-sized carrots, cooked, mashed

preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, combine defrosted fish with egg,sugar , salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Divide mixture in half. Press one half into a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. Divde remaining mixture in half. Mix spinach with one half of mixture and carrots with the other. Spread the spinach mixture over plain fish in loaf pan. Then spread carrot mixture over the spinach mixture.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour.

Thanks everyone who offered tomato based recipes but DH doesn't like it... I would love to make it - oh well!

Last edited by wereafamily on Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

wereafamily

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:23 pm
mfb wrote:
I sometimes thaw it a bit and put it into individual flaky dough squares then egg them and put sesame seeds and bake.
If you don't tell pple what's inside pple that ate it by me actually thought it was potato inside.
I saw this idea somewhere on this site.

I love this idea - you don't add anything to the gefilte fish?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:28 pm
Smear Dijon mustard, top with lots of caramelized onions, cover and bake.

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 11:45 pm
wereafamily wrote:
I love this idea - you don't add anything to the gefilte fish?

Nothing else added - plain gefilta defrosted a bit so you can work with it!!
I usually serve with chraionnaise (not sure spelling)

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 4:25 am
I bread and fry.

For the sauce:
Saute onions, garlic, green pepper, mushrooms, half a jalepeno or red chili (more or less depending on your liking).
2 cans of tomato sauce.
Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or lime juice.
salt to taste
pepper to taste
honey to taste

You can add parsley, thyme, oregano, cilantro, coriander, cumin. Whatever spices you're in the mood of.

eschaya

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:23 am
I unwrap the frozen loaf and put it in a large loaf pan, cut whatever vegis happen to be in the house (this past week was carrots, celery, zucchini, and purple onion) and load them all around. I then take a jar of regular marinara sauce and doctor it up till I'm happy (brown sugar, oregano, pepper, garlic, etc), pour it over, then bake the whole thing.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 5:08 pm
Here's the Moroccan fishball recipe based on defrosted gef fish loaves (preferably unsweetened).

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....occan

Fried fish balls are yummy--can't have a proper shul Kiddush without them here!

chestnut

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:51 pm
Torah wrote:
I've seen people defrost the fish, place in a round baking pan, smear olive oil on top, put seasonings on top of the oil. Using paprika makes it pretty. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown on top. Slice into wedges.

thanks for the recipe. it's in the oven now Smile I only have 9in round pans, but the fish looked too flat in it, so I filled only half of the pan with it (semi-circle). couldn't decide which spices to use, so 1/3 of it is with shwarma spices, 1/3 - smoked african from trader joes, and 1/3 - za'atar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics