Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How many courses do you serve on long Fri nights
Previous  1  2

smiledr

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 9:41 am
We always do fish and soup fri night - my kids love soup w croutons and I find it satisfying. Then we have chicken kugel and veggie. I usually feeds kids before Shabbos esp in the summer and they just have challah w us. We have tea and dessert after the kids go to bed. Shabbos day is fish protien kugel veggie and dessert. I make a lot more if I have company .

seeker

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 9:58 am
Fish, main course, dessert.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 10:01 am
abaker wrote:
we have little kids who aren't up for the meal since dh doesn't get home from shul until about 9:15 (litch bentching isn't until 9pm here...and we make "early shabbos" dh goes to shul at 8)....so we have challah, chicken, & sides friday night lately. shabbos lunch we have lots of salads and dips a main course and fruit/dessert. so we pretty much just have 1 course friday night, thats what works best for us. Smile

if your husband goes to shul at 8pm I think you need to bentch licht when he brings in shabbos. I dont think you can wait until 9pm to bentch licht. But ask your LOR.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:10 pm
OP, I'm a bit confused, I presume you mean late Fri nights, not long Fri nights?

In summer when we have late Fri nights, the kids eat early supper around 6pm with chicken soup (a must in our house too), fish or chicken, sides and fruits. Most shabbat we only have guests for lunch. We all have Kiddush/hamotzi, the kids go straight to dessert (very often a slice of challah with jam or choco spread) then go to bed. We often prefer parve meal, so fish, salad and fruits. Then I may have milky tea or ice cream.

In winter when we have long Fri nights, we do 4-5 courses, dips/salatim/fish, soup, main, salad and dessert.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:37 pm
winter: challa, dips, soup, chicken, veggies, potatoes. no dessert
summer: challa, dips, chicken, veggies, potatoes. no dessert

I only make more if we have guests

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
if your husband goes to shul at 8pm I think you need to bentch licht when he brings in shabbos. I dont think you can wait until 9pm to bentch licht. But ask your LOR.

We definitely don't hold that way. I just make sure to be makebal shabbat before he gets home.

oliveoil

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:50 pm
No soup most of the summer. And also we all sit down about an hour or so before Shabbos (approx regular supper time) and eat half the food then. That way no one is too hungry later and we don't eat a heavy meal at 11pm.

Willow43

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 5:04 pm
I do the same thing all year round. My husband is very traditional and would be beside himself if I skipped soup - even in the summer. Friday night we have homemade challah and dips- gefilte fish- chicken soup and knaidel- baked chicken in a sauce (different every week so at least theres SOME variety to the meal) and potato kugel. (Traditional or what?!?) We never have dessert. My husband eats all this and goes for seconds and thirds while I have challah and fish and am totally full by that point. Sometimes ill have a drop of soup but I never have a main... When we have company ill make much more

mominlkwd

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 5:16 pm
We do all the courses- Challah, fish, soup, main. In the summer (prob after shavuos until succos) I'll cut out the soup - kids will be upset but I can't bring myself to make boiling soup when it's soooo hot out. I usually don't serve dessert at night unless we have guests. I serve salad and kugel, chicken cutlets etc with the main meat dish. Dips are random - if DH buys or I decide to make but definitely not every week and we pick at them- don't fill up on them.

mom in france

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 11:59 pm
Op, do what works for you and your family. If I dont have guests ive also cut out fish & salad course on late friday nights, and we always end up eating the soup before shabbos! We are hungry at 6pm not at 11pm.
I have friends with older kids who eat the main course ( meat/chicken, kugel/rice, veg) before shabbos, coz yes everyone is hungry! And later eat the fish, dips, salads.

sunny90

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 12:44 am
When it's just us, I just make challah, salads and soup. My kids have some challah rolls and soup before Shabbos and I put them to bed after I light candles.
When we have guests, I add a main course.
Oh, and dessert too of course.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 1:21 am
I think our latest Shabbos here is at around 10pm. We just can't wait up that long. I serve dinner before candle lighting. DH goes to shul, I light and spend time with DD, and when he gets home we make kiddush, have dessert, and then bentch. Then it's bedtime! Sleep

Raisin

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 1:27 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
We definitely don't hold that way. I just make sure to be makebal shabbat before he gets home.

ok. In my town everyone brings in shabbos early so you can't bring it in late. My husband says I need to light when they are saying kabbolos shabbos, (or some other tefilla).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note