Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Thicker than Water by A. Ungar

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 8:23 pm
Did anyone read it?
Is it well written?
Reviews please.

cs1

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 8:36 pm
its an excellent book! my whole family really enjoyed it. even my father who never reads any books was riveted till the end.
its a 'mystery' novel that jeeps you hanging till the last page.
in regards to being well written...im not sure as to what your standards are. I only read jewosh books and was satisfied with how it was written.
it was the best pesach read that we got. (befriend was good and the legacy was ok- this was the best)

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 8:39 pm
I basically only read Jewish books.
I'm still annoyed that I spent $28 on Secret Accounts which was so poorly written (or translated I should say), that the story barely made sense.
I really liked the Lost Legacy, so if you're saying that this is better, I will probably buy it for the second days.
Thanks for the feedback!

GetReal

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 12:41 pm
Well written, drew me in, I couldn't put it down.
But the end really annoyed me!
there were some big holes in the plot.
So interesting, while reading it I really enjoyed it but I put it down with questions and annoyance and wouldn't read it again. As opposed to the marigold book I also read over yom tov, which I would read and re-read over and over.

bluejays

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 1:13 pm
Interesting, getreal, I had the same opinion... I was riveted with the thicker than water, but then was left just confused... On the other hand where wild marigolds was awesome! Was solid, could put it down, but really left an impression!

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:30 am
I started the book last night and stayed up to finish it becasue I couldn't put it down.
It was amazing and I was drawn into the plot....until then ending. Like others said the ending was a bit strange and didn't make really make sense in my opinion.
Oh well, I think it was still a good book.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 12:53 pm
Just got this book before shabbos. By page 110 lol. I don't really like the writing style so much but the story keeps me reading.

I still have a voucher which I can use. What is the marigold one about and the lost legacy? Was the latter somewhere serialised? Wanna choose between these and Rachel pomerantz book.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 2:34 pm
I read it on pesach over the first days- after the sedarim.... It was a " thriller" but written in a humorous way. Its a book that keeps you going but its not one for leaving impressiOns when you finish.

ChabadUK

Post Thu, Jun 13 2013, 10:53 am
I read it in a day I was so eager to know what happened in the end. It isn't the best written book but I was in suspense to the end and did enjoy the read.

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 6:03 am
I just read this book and enjoyed. It's the kind of book you cant put down!

BUT -

lots of things dont make sense

1- why didn't anyone consult a rav, a posek throughout?

2- how did they make the tenaim with the wrong names?

3- lederman seemed bad even though slightly justified at the end. No excuse to set up listening devices in someones house.

4- did the runaways dress like non jews without asking a rav? Book doesnt say just leads you to believe. the mrs. didn't cover her hair? she wore pants? I guess she used a mikvah if she had more kids .. the Mr. didn't daven???

I know ...it's just a book-- a made up story

I did enjoy reading it!

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 7:00 am
amother wrote:
I just read this book and enjoyed. It's the kind of book you cant put down!

BUT -

lots of things dont make sense

1- why didn't anyone consult a rav, a posek throughout?

2- how did they make the tenaim with the wrong names?

3- lederman seemed bad even though slightly justified at the end. No excuse to set up listening devices in someones house.

4- did the runaways dress like non jews without asking a rav? Book doesnt say just leads you to believe. the mrs. didn't cover her hair? she wore pants? I guess she used a mikvah if she had more kids .. the Mr. didn't daven???

I know ...it's just a book-- a made up story

I did enjoy reading it!

I had similar questions embarrassed

watergirl

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 6:27 pm
Bumping this thread. I just read it over shabbos - I am not a fan of jewish novels, but borrowed this one because I was told it was "soooo gooooood". I had all of the same issues. These familes are so frum bur nonrav was ever consulted? They just went for a full facial plastic makeover just like that? Its a huge surgery! Who took care of the baby while this was going on? In what country, with what visa, and with what money? They supported themselves, multiple births, expensive hospital bills, all on a taxi drivers wages? Their son just starts snooping like that? It was more unbelievable than any secular thriller I've ever read, just based on the holes in the story. Not thrilled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room