Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Portable Air Conditioner - Have One? Like it?

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 1:56 pm
I would like to get a portable air conditioning unit for my bedroom - the kind that would stand on the floor - but not the kind that is installed in the window. Anyone have one? Are you happy with it? Do you need to fill it with water, or somehow connect a hose to an outdoor window? Please give me more details, so I will know if this can work for me. Thanks so much!

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:18 pm
I have had one in the past. It worked very well. It does have a hose that needs to be vented outside, usually done through a window.

ila

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:19 pm
I have one, don't like it and it comes with a hose that takes the hot air to the outside

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:56 pm
ila wrote:
I have one, don't like it and it comes with a hose that takes the hot air to the outside

Would you mind sharing with me what you don't like about the unit? I am seriously considering getting one, but would like more feedback.

My mom is coming to spend the summer with us, iy"H. She is always cold, and wearing a sweater does not help. So I was thinking of closing my central air every night so my mom will be comfortable and just having the portable unit set up in my bedroom so I can sleep comfortably. I have allergies and need the air.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 3:08 pm
Someone I know has one in his office. It is really loud. And they had to put a hole in the wall for the exhaust as there is no window.

ila

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 3:38 pm
Its very noisy and doesn't refrigerate so well...but I use it in the kitchen so maybe that's why it's not cold enough

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 4:27 pm
Is it safe to leave on overnight, like if I turn it on Friday before candlelighting and keep it on till motzei Shabbos, or would the drip pan (if it has one) need to be emptied? Is the vent you were talking about only to release the HOT air, or is it also for the water...like with my central air, there is a drain in the basement where the water drains into.

ila

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 4:39 pm
No water drain, it evaporates, and I'm not sure about safety issues...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:34 pm
I was thinking of getting one, but from reading the reviews, I get the impression that they do not work nearly as well as window ACs. And they are expensive to install.

As crazy as it sounds, I think it would make more sense to get a space heater for your mother for her to use in her room while you keep the central AC on.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 9:41 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

As crazy as it sounds, I think it would make more sense to get a space heater for your mother for her to use in her room while you keep the central AC on.

You know, your idea actually makes good sense. It is something to consider.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 10:01 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
Is it safe to leave on overnight, like if I turn it on Friday before candlelighting and keep it on till motzei Shabbos, or would the drip pan (if it has one) need to be emptied? Is the vent you were talking about only to release the HOT air, or is it also for the water...like with my central air, there is a drain in the basement where the water drains into.
Yes, it's okay to leave it on overnight.

Rodent

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 2:33 am
If a window one is an option go with that. The free standing ones still need venting, some need emptying and won't last all of Shabbat, some don't but they don't cool as efficiently in my experience either. They are loud and use more electricity than a proper air conditioning unit even though they don't work as well. If it's the only option you have (as it was in our previous 2 rented houses that didn't have and we couldn't put in) then you make do but our current place has several so we only use the portable in the sunroom when desperate because the others don't reach there.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 3:57 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I was thinking of getting one, but from reading the reviews, I get the impression that they do not work nearly as well as window ACs. And they are expensive to install.

Best suggestion yet! AC units use a ton more electricity than a space heater, too. Get the oil type heater instead of the ones with electric elements. They have nice even heat, and are completely safe. They have an automatic shutoff switch if they accidentally get tipped over, and they are safe to touch (important if there are children around). I like to lay my clothes on top of the heater in the morning before I get dressed. Smile
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2.....id=82

In the summer I have two window AC units for my house, and they do the job but make SUCH a racket! They rattle and clatter and the fan is noisy and it takes me weeks to get used to sleeping with the sound all night. On the other hand, I can't tolerate a lot of heat, so for me they are a "medical necessity".

mirror

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 11:38 am
Deleted

Last edited by mirror on Sat, Jan 23 2016, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 12:26 pm
My problem was also shabbes because I have to empty water (the pipe is too 'high' because it goes through the window so water stays in mostly) and when I have to empty water, it turns itself off. So I can't turn it on...
Also having the window ajar makes the hot air come in.

We splurged last year on a "real" "professional" one, on the wall, in our bedroom. A dream!

sallee

Post Wed, Jun 27 2018, 6:02 am
Anyone have one they can recommend? Looking for a small room that has only a tiny window thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars