Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah Question

Willow43

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:04 pm
Can Challah be made/braided and then frozen?

I want to know if I make the dough and braid the challah and freeze it and then bake it friday if it will come out ok.... TIA!

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:10 pm
kinneret does it [do they still make kinneret challah]

the shape might not be perfect though ...

make sure to leave it on a flat surface open while it freezes & then transfer to freezer bags individually ...

also I believe you have to defrost it overnight on the counter ... a frozen challa takes longer to rise

Simple1

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:50 pm
I did it and it came out good. I don't remember the method, but after it was defrosted I also let them rise again before baking.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:55 pm
once it's shaped you can only let it rise once ...

Frumdoc

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:31 pm
Might be esier to freeze the dough unshaped, then as it warms it will rise a bit, then plait, then rise again. I know my challahs are quite fragile after being plaited and would get bashed about in the freezer and lose their shape.

I guess if you have more frezer space so you don't have to squash them together it helps. I have just reorganised the freezer to fit in enough challot for this shabbos, yomtov and next shabbos, now I just have to make them!

imasoftov

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:11 am
greenfire wrote:
kinneret does it [do they still make kinneret challah]

I used to think their challot tasted more yeasty than others, I wondered if they added more to last better in the freezer. But maybe theirs needed to be able to stay frozen for months. Past tense because I haven't seen them in years either but I live in Israel.

3mitzvos

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:13 am
I've done it before, and it works fine. Right after you braid it, freeze. Don't let it rise. Then, on the day you plan on baking it, take it out really early in the morning to give it enough time to defrost and then rise before baking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads