Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is This a Good Shower Gift?

Fox

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:29 pm
I have a slew of showers and chassunahs coming up, and I'm thinking of getting goblets with the couples' last name initials etched in Hebrew. Something like this, but in Hebrew, not English:

Etched Wine Glasses

What do you think? Or should I forget it and give pot holders?

Happy18

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:32 pm
Definitely more interesting and unique, but personally I'd go with the pot holders.

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:35 pm
I'd want the pot holders more than the goblets.
We got way too many glass items... and I already broke half of them. I have a policy of only plastic in the kitchen now.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:43 pm
I'll take one of each ...

totally love the idea ... where would you get them etched in hebrew ?

somebody was funding an event at a local grocery to engrave a bottle of woodford reserve or gentlemen's jack near purim that could be etched in hebrew or english ... if I had the monies I would have liked to gift some of those

Frumdoc

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 8:15 pm
They look gorgeous, can you get them in the couple's monogram? Beautiful idea, if not so practical.

My in laws actually got these, personalised, as the wedding favors from a very wealthy client of my fil's, each one of the 500+ guests had their name etched onto a glass that was used to toast the couple. It was one of those open mouthed fancy weddings that must have cost
the same as an apartment in Yerushalayim Rolling Eyes

One of my favorite gifts was someone had a load (500!) of pretty paper napkins printed with our monogram, that I designed, from one of these online shops. I still have some, we save them for anniversaries and special occasions embarrassed

ROFL

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 11:44 pm
I would love them, unique and interesting.
I live using stem ware for Shabbat and there are at times breakage , therefore it is a perfect gift for me

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 11:57 pm
These are so unique and classy! How would you do it in Hebrew?

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 11:57 pm
I have made these. They are easy and inexpensive to make.

Barbara

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 4:39 am
Fox wrote:
I have a slew of showers and chassunahs coming up, and I'm thinking of getting goblets with the couples' last name initials etched in Hebrew. Something like this, but in Hebrew, not English:

Etched Wine Glasses

What do you think? Or should I forget it and give pot holders?

Do you know that the women will be changing their names?

In any case, people, and particularly brides, are often fussy about things like stemware. They pour over catalogs and visit stores and want the perfect thing. All matched, of course. Random unmatched stemware may not be well-received.

Caveat. My parents have a whole set of those. I always thought they were hideous. So that may be coloring my reaction.

Sarah f

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:04 am
Stunning! I'd love to receive some!

Savta Yinny

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 12:11 pm
I used to give a kitchen garbage bin filled with things you need but no one ever buys as wedding gifts such as vegetable peelers, wooden spoons, sieves, potato mashers, scrubbers, Tea Towels etc. I wrapped it all up in a fancy paper table cloth (wrapping paper was not big enough for the bin) and tied it with ribbon. The feedback was amazing, couples were VERY grateful

Fox

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 12:28 pm
Well, you know me: I'm both cheap and busy (which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with hanging out on imamother so much!).

I got the following machine as a gift recently, and it does an amazing job creating stencils and templates:

Brother Scan 'n' Cut

So with a little etching cream, I've made some stuff that doesn't actually scream, "made by lovin' hands at home!"

But there's definitely a learning curve, and I'm still figuring out the best kinds of flourishes and designs to add to whatever Hebrew lettering I'm doing. And since the shower is tonight, it's unlikely that I'll have time. I guess I'll contribute to the group gift certificate and inflict my arts-and-crafts projects on somebody else!

I did a mirror last night with plain Hebrew lettering that came out great, and somebody gave me a mirror to etch a child's silhouette onto. I'll see how that turns out.

The Scan 'n' Cut originally caught my eye as a way to precision-cut fabric for quilting appliques, including Hebrew lettering and logos. Although if I don't have time to etch a dozen goblets, I'm certainly not making quilts for all these kallahs, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 1:14 pm
Wow, cool machine Cool

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 1:23 pm
Wow! That scan and cut is awesome!

I love the goblets too! Would love to get them as a gift.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 1:31 pm
I have big ideas for that scan n cut!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 1:39 pm
If you already have the wedding invitation, have you thought about using the machine and your etching cream (?) to etch the invitation into a mirror or piece of dark colored glass?

Fox

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:09 pm
Barbara wrote:
If you already have the wedding invitation, have you thought about using the machine and your etching cream (?) to etch the invitation into a mirror or piece of dark colored glass?

Yes -- in fact, I've been playing around with that idea. I don't have an invitation for the kallah who's being showered tonight, but I suspect it will be a single initial of the couple's last name (she's definitely changing her name), since that's what her sisters had.

The other challenge is that a lot of the wedding logos have all kinds of fancy scrollwork that doesn't translate well into a stencil or template. They were designed for printed material -- not cut-outs.

Scrabble123 wrote:
I have big ideas for that scan n cut!!!!!!!!!!!

Nu? Let's hear 'em!

So far I've used it primarily for card-making, which is really more my DD's interest, not mine. She makes pop-up cards with names in English or Hebrew as well as original designs.

I'll try to post some pictures under in the appropriate forum to show some of my practice projects. I've always avoided posting my stuff here on Imamother; I mean, what is anyone going to say? "Gosh, Fox, if you gave me that quilt, I'd walk straight out to the garbage with it!" But this new machine is so cool, and I really want to stretch my capabilities with it.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:12 pm
Fox wrote:
Nu? Let's hear 'em!

So far I've used it primarily for card-making, which is really more my DD's interest, not mine. She makes pop-up cards with names in English or Hebrew as well as original designs.

I'll try to post some pictures under in the appropriate forum to show some of my practice projects. I've always avoided posting my stuff here on Imamother; I mean, what is anyone going to say? "Gosh, Fox, if you gave me that quilt, I'd walk straight out to the garbage with it!" But this new machine is so cool, and I really want to stretch my capabilities with it.

I'd love to see what you/she made.

I'd love to see if we can make 3D of the avoda in the Bais HaMikdash and frame it for the sukka. Depends how it works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics