Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO side dish for Indian meal

mha3484

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:40 pm
I am making tandoori chicken and curried potatoes for shabbos. Any ideas/recipes for a veggie to round it out. I prefer something green.

Thanks!

smss

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:59 pm
there's a yummy indian spinach dish, palak paneer- I think it has some kind of cheese in it but you can probably leave that out. I've never made it home but I'm sure it's possible...

imasinger

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:06 pm
I found this recipe online, and it looks like something I would make. I'd probably substitute canned chickpeas, and skip the soaking, and frozen spinach. You can substitute curry powder for garam masala.

Ingredients
•2 cups dried chickpeas, picked over
•8 cups baby spinach leaves
•2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
•2 teaspoons ground coriander
•2 teaspoons ground cumin
•1 teaspoon garam masala*
•1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
•2 teaspoons kosher salt
•1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In large bowl, combine chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by two inches. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Drain chickpeas, then combine in slow cooker with 1 cup water. Cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 4 hours. Add spinach, tomatoes and their juices, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 1 hour more. Sprinkle in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir in cilantro and serve

Soul on fire

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:19 pm
I was also going to recommend some kind of spinach dish.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:21 pm
I make a simpler version of what imasinger posted. Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add cumin and continue sauteeing a couple of minutes. Add fresh spinach leaves or frozen spinach, and stir occasionally until wilted. Add a can of chick peas, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until heated through.

It's really yummy and the spices won't overwhelm your other dishes.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 3:51 pm
Thank you all so much! I have made Spanish style spinach and chickpeas and that was a hit so this sounds great.

November

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 4:57 pm
I can't really get spinach without spending a fortune. What could be substituted for the spinach in these recipes? Thanks.

smss

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:03 pm
November wrote:
I can't really get spinach without spending a fortune. What could be substituted for the spinach in these recipes? Thanks.

you can try using beet leaves (alei selek) but it's not quite the same...

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 5:22 pm
Curried lentils

http://pinchofyum.com/red-curry-lentils

frummy613

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 7:12 pm
Try the YouTube channel manjulas kitchen. I make her stuff all the time, its easy and always comes out amazing!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 8:08 pm
You can make parve version of saag paneer (spinach with cubed cheese) by using firm tofu.
Cube tofu, and fry them in small amount of oil first so they don't disintegrate.

There are many classical combination, spinach & potato (saag aloo), potato & cauliflower (aloo gobi), potato & green peas (mutar aloo). Also don't forget okra in either tomato or curry sauce, or aubegines--they are normally cooked on their own rather than combining with other veggies.

You can also make salad-like relish with fresh vegetables, chopped raw onion and chopped tomato. Shredded cabbage with vinegar and kalonji seeds (use black sesame seeds or fennel seeds). You can also add fresh chutneys like fresh mango, onion, mint, and chili or fresh coconut and corriander. Raita is similar to tzatzki made with grated cucumber, salt and yogurt (very refreshing and good for cooling palate), I haven't had much luck with parve yogurt but it may work.

Not really green veggies but you can make lentil into thicker curry stew (dal) or thinner soup (radam)

mha3484

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 9:23 pm
Mrs Bissli do you have an eggplant recipe?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 10:59 am
* Top and tail aubergines and cut into 1" cubes (keep skins on). Sprinkle 2teasp salt and leave for 30min. Drain and rinse off salt. Pat dry.
* Heat 1tbsp oil in a pot, fry 2 finely chopped onions, a few garlic cloves (chopped or sliced) grated ginger (about the size of an adult's thumbnail), a pinch of cumin, a pinch of chili, a pinch of turmeric. Keep on stirring and fry for 10-15min till onions are very soft but before browning.
* Add aubergines, 2 teasp garam masala (curry powder) and fry for another 15min or so till aubergines start to shrink. Add 1 cup tomato passata, lower flame and simmer till aubergines are soft.

You can also add cooked chickpeas. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve with rice or naan (or pitta for that matter).

Another version calls for coconut milk instead of tomato passata. This would come out creamier, Korma style, but cook on lower flame to avoid coconut milk separating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes