Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Husband quit smoking- how to show pride/ appreciation?

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:12 am
My husband ha quit smoking completely- hasn't smoked in a month, and this is a huge accomplishment especially considering he is going htrough a very hard time- out of a job. he had some very hard moments were he was depressed irritable etc. but he did not give in and has stayed clean. I haven't really shown too much support along the way, and I really wan to do somethong special to show how much this means to us and how proud I ma of him for this huge accomplishment. we are very tight on money, so nothing expensive. any ideas?
would also appreciate any tips or advice of people who have been through this as to how to show support etc

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 7:52 am
It's your husband. Talk to him. Show support. You don't need a special thing, it's day to day life that counts.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 8:46 am
try not to get your hopes. too much support and attention is pressurizing.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 8:56 am
Really in think just encouraging words might be good. Please be aware this is an ongoing battle. My dh quit smoking more than five years ago and he syas its still hard when he's with friends that are smoking or after a heavy meal when he would usually have gone out to smoke...

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:51 am
I was kind of just in a similar situation (doesn't have a happy ending though). DH stopped smoking for about 2 months- he was PERFECT! Now he started again...but I hope it's not long term...

Anyway, give him positive encouragement, say things like, "Thank you so much for not smoking, I can imagine how hard it must be, I really, really appreciate it!"
And if he vents to you (as my DH did) along the lines of, "I wish I could have a cigarette... now would be the perfect time...." say, "Thank you so much for being such a good husband to me!!!"

You can just overall try to be more positive, he'll appreciate that. A great idea would be to change something about YOURSELF that he doesn't like, to show him that you want to make him happy, and you are also willing to "sacrifice."

Also, a good idea (if your DH is the type) is to treat him to some s-xual favors, like maybe surprising him one night, or doing something you wouldn't ordinarily do.

The point is to show him, "thank you for going out of your comfort zone. I will do the same for you!"

Good luck!!!!

momX4

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 10:25 am
Maybe buy a saving jar. Every day/week put money inside equivalent to how much your DH used to spend on smoking. Have DH pick a date night, do it once you have enough money.

disclaimer: I dont know how much cigarettes cost. My dad smoked for years and then quit. A chossen offered him a cigarette and he went right back to smoking. I think you need an ongoing incentive.

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 3:15 pm
Make a romantic date night, and theme it " no need for artificials, you're smoking hot without it..,

mfb

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 4:45 pm
momX4 wrote:
Maybe buy a saving jar. Every day/week put money inside equivalent to how much your DH used to spend on smoking. Have DH pick a date night, do it once you have enough money.

disclaimer: I dont know how much cigarettes cost. My dad smoked for years and then quit. A chossen offered him a cigarette and he went right back to smoking. I think you need an ongoing incentive.

I like the idea of the saving jar. if your husband smoked a lot it will add up nicely after a while.

estibesty

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 6:06 pm
I made my husband a cake im not really taleneted in decorating cakes but I pulled off he felt so good. It was kind juts said were so proud.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics