Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Internet/IP address question

nottelling

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:59 am
My internet suddenly started acting up. The router looks like its working, but the internet on my laptop suddenly stops. I reset the router and the wireless on my computer and BH it begins to work again. But this can happen many times a day.

I sometimes get the following message on my laptop: Another device on the network is using your computers IP address. try connecting again later. if you continue to have problems, change the IP address of this computer or the ip address of the other device.

I don't have any new devices...

What does that mean? What do I do about it?

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 12:48 pm
Is your internet password protected, or is it possible that a neighbor is piggybacking on you? Do you have any mobile devices?

Your router should be giving dynamic IPs via DHCP -- can you login into your router to see what these devices are? I had an issue with my printer's IP being "taken over" by a neighbor's computer who had my internet credentials stored in its memory, thinking it was part of my network. I set the printer to have a static IP (one that doesn't change) that was the end of the range of internal IPs, and it resolved the issue...

nottelling

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 1:10 pm
Thank you so much for responding!!

Internet is password protected.

I do have wifi on my cell, but I've had the phone for a while and this problem recently started

I have no idea how to get into my router! I'm totally illiterate when it comes to this area

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:10 pm
You didn't add any wireless printer did you? I'm not sure how to help you if you don't know how to get into your router.
You can try to get in by going into the address bar of your browser and typing in
if that doesn't work
if that doesn't work, it may be a different internal IP address, which can be accessed on windows by running a command prompt (not sure which version of windows you would have if you even have one) and running an ipconfig command which will tell you your gateway, but even then, once you get to the router's interface, you will still need the username/password combo which you may or may not have...I'm not sure I can walk you through all this!

nottelling

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 2:14 am
still having this problem and I'm annoyed enough that now I want to do something about it!

I have bezeq and bezeq bein leumi... who would be the one I call to help me with this problem?

(I know whoever I call is going to tell me to call the other company)

Smile1234

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 4:13 am
I had a similar problem - that my computer would stop connecting to the wifi, but the wifi and internet were working properly (wifi on my phone worked and dsl worked), and it turned out to be the computers issue - we had a virus and had to get the computer restored. So I wish you best of luck! Try calling bezek. They will need to know the username and password of the internet provider (Hot, Rimon, etc).

nottelling

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 4:49 am
the problem is that the wireless on my phone and ipad aren't working either. the router looks like its working (no blinking lights, all lights are on), but when I reset the router the wireless works again.

when I turned the wireless on my phone and ipad off the problem still continues (and it's only a recent problem, while I've had wireless on my phone and ipad for a while with no problems).

so you think I call bezeq? (I hate calling bezeq! thats why ive been pushing it off). I don't know my username and password of my provider!

RachelB

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 4:56 am
You could go into your wireless router's settings, depending on the router, and set static IPs with your hardwares' MAC number so this wont happen.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 5:00 am
Sounds like a bezek issue. They will give you the phone number for the internet provider. Its not always so traumatic to deal with them - only sometimes Wink

nottelling

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 5:01 am
Quote:
You could go into your wireless router's settings, depending on the router, and set static IPs with your hardwares' MAC number so this wont happen.

I love how you are all so smart(and I mean that, not being sarcastic!).. how in the world do I do that?!!?
I have an ancient black seimens router (if this saves me a phone call to bezeq I would owe you A LOT)

RachelB

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:13 am
Could you please post your router model #

nottelling

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 9:13 am
seimens sl2-141

thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics