Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Dulce de leche

Mother 4

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 6:51 pm
Is dulce de leche the same as carmel?

yo'ma

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 9:17 pm
No. Dulce de leche is made with condensed milk and caramel is made with sugar.

little_mage

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 9:49 pm
Dulce de leche is much closer to sweetened condensed milk then anything else. Please let people (me) know if you find a kosher brand in the states! I do recall seeing recipes for how to create it if you con't find it kosher, although I haven't tried any of them, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 31 2014, 10:01 pm
You can try dairy caramel cream from bakers choice, which is made with condensed milk.

mommy24

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:12 am
there is a kosher one they sell in stores in the US at least in new york area, I forgot the name something like la salmandra, it has picutres of cows on it. It is from argentina, its the real deal. the others dont come close. enjoy

ETA, this brand has a hechsher feom argentina and is cholov yisroel.

Last edited by mommy24 on Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:03 am
Yes, I use that brand (I had to ask about the hechsher but was told fine). I don't think it's CY though, I don't have a jar to check right now. You can buy it in a lot of fancier supermarkets.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 1:38 am
There is one that Williams Sonoma sells

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 12:44 pm
Don't buy dulce de leche. It's the easiest thing in the world to make IF you observe all safety precautions. If you're sloppy about following instructions and have no patience to let things cool before eating, don't try this.

Take 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Put in a saucepan taller than the can. Fill pan with water. Place on stove, cover, bring to the boil. Lower flame and simmer for about 2 hours. Keep an eye on the pan and replenish water as the level goes down. DO NOT LET BOIL DRY or you will have a BOMB as the heat turns the water in the can to steam and the pressure builds up to extreme levels. The water in the saucepan serves as a heat sink so the contents of the can never get hotter than the boiling point of water.

After about 2 hours, shut off the flame and DO NOTHING. Let the pot and its contents sit there and cool naturally for several hours. Do NOT move the can or plunge it into cold water. Once the can is cool enough to hold in your bare hand without discomfort, you may safely open it with a can opener and enjoy the sweetest, creamiest, most mellow and delicious treat. Transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate. Put a padlock on it if you have no willpower.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:44 pm
zaq wrote:
Don't buy dulce de leche. It's the easiest thing in the world to make IF you observe all safety precautions. If you're sloppy about following instructions and have no patience to let things cool before eating, don't try this.

Take 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Put in a saucepan taller than the can. Fill pan with water. Place on stove, cover, bring to the boil. Lower flame and simmer for about 2 hours. Keep an eye on the pan and replenish water as the level goes down. DO NOT LET BOIL DRY or you will have a BOMB as the heat turns the water in the can to steam and the pressure builds up to extreme levels. The water in the saucepan serves as a heat sink so the contents of the can never get hotter than the boiling point of water.

After about 2 hours, shut off the flame and DO NOTHING. Let the pot and its contents sit there and cool naturally for several hours. Do NOT move the can or plunge it into cold water. Once the can is cool enough to hold in your bare hand without discomfort, you may safely open it with a can opener and enjoy the sweetest, creamiest, most mellow and delicious treat. Transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate. Put a padlock on it if you have no willpower.

I just finished making this and COOL!!! It worked. I can't taste it because I'm fleishig, but it looks and smells perfect. I'm not sure why I even made it, we have so much dulce de leche in my house and only one of my kids eat it, but it was cool Very Happy , so thanks!!

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:56 pm
Don't thank me, thank my Cuban-descended coworker who told me how his grandmother used to make it in the old country.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:10 pm
zaq wrote:
Don't thank me, thank my Cuban-descended coworker who told me how his grandmother used to make it in the old country.

I told my dd who's in NY staying by my sister and the one she brought with her was finished in a week, so now she wants to know how to make it. I'm sending her the recipe right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals