Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Easy Mock Cheese Knishes recipe

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 10:40 pm
I just put this under the Shavuos section, but I thought it would be a good idea to put it here too just in case anyone wanted it for a dairy supper at another time of year. My mother used to make these for supper when I was growing up, and I always thought it was wonderful. I made them for the first time last year, and it was like tasting childhood. They were still that good.

To give credit, where credit is due, my mother got these from a cookbook. I am not 100% sure, but I think it was from The Pleasures of Your Food Processor by Norene Gilletz.

Easy Mock Cheese Knishes

1 pound dry cottage cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Process all ingredients together until well mixed. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto cookie sheets which have been lined with foil and greased. Bake on middle rack of oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with sour cream and berries. 18-20 knishes. Freezes well.

Me again. Just to let you know, I have substituted oil for the butter, and it worked out pretty well. You can use a hand mixer for this. I personally just mix it with a fork. Also, my spoonfuls must be small, because my current batch yielded 27 knishes.

Chaya4

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 11:41 pm
what is dry cottage cheese?

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 11:56 pm
It's sort of difficult to explain. It is the cheese, but without the liquid. It is kind of crumbly. I buy it in a package, not a container. It is rectangular in shape when I buy it.

I'm not sure, but I think it is also called Farmer's cheese. It might also be called "baker's cheese."

If you make cheese blintzes, you can use the same kind of cheese.

Edit:

I found a video about this type of cheese. Please note, this is not a kosher brand, so it will be more expensive than this lady says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzXTlcCCP8

I'm sorry I can't embed the video for some reason. I can't figure out how that works.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 12:43 am
If you are talking about dry curd cottage cheese... It's also known as farmers cheese.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:14 am
Why is it called "mock cheese" blintzes if it uses real cheese?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:16 am
DrMom wrote:
Why is it called "mock cheese" blintzes if it uses real cheese?
It's mock knishes (no real dough), not mock cheese.

yummy2

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:25 am
hey ra mom, why u up now??!! Wink

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:29 am
yummy2 wrote:
hey ra mom, why u up now??!! Wink
Is that you? Smile
No reason, I need to alone time. Smile

yummy2

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:33 am
Enjoy unwinding....

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 6:00 am
I actually got excited when I saw the Mock Cheese... its 'only' mock knish....

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 10:15 am
This is my own personal answer to the following problem: I don't want to make blintzes this year, though I want to eat them. These are not as good as cheese blintzes, but at least to don't have to patchke.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:19 pm
I just made these and they came out really good! They came out moist inside and they are not very sweet - which is exactly how we like it. And I love easy recipes.
Thanks for sharing.

takeiteasy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 10:48 am
Made this last week and everyone loved it!

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 2:00 pm
Just bumping this up again. It is a family favourite, an I like to make it for Shavuos.

It tastes just like childhood to me.

Basya

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 6:25 pm
These are a cinch to make! And they came out delish! A new favorite!

Just wondering if it can work with regular cottage cheese instead of the farmer cheese?

whirlwind

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 4:50 pm
Bumping this bc I just tried this recipe with a few changes and had excellent results!! I used regular cottage cheese (low fat), olive oil instead of the butter (OP mentioned this adjustment), white whole wheat flour, and xylitol instead of the sugar. I also plopped them into muffin tins instead of on a pan and baked about 35 mins. My kids gobbled them up and they took less than 5 mins to make!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals