Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Letting kids eat away from the table

staten islander

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:26 pm
I host people often and it never ceases to amaze me how many people let their kids walk around with food in someone else's house.What you do at home is your business,and your choice,but why is it ok to allow your child to take a challah piece and walk to the playroom with it?Are you going to vacuum? We have bedrooms(with toys) on the same level as the dining room and I can't tell you how many kids leave the table mid meal,food in hand, to go play. If we eat out, my kids know to treat someone else's home as their own-food stays at the table, finish eating,wash your hands and then go play.If they forget, I would remind them and not put the responsibility on the host.Basic manners!!!

ElTam

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:50 pm
I would assume they allow it at their house and don't think it's a big deal, to be DLKZ. I don't allow it at home, so I wouldn't dream of allowing it somewhere else.

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:56 pm
This is basic etiquette. I tell visiting moms the house rules are no eating off the tables. You would be surprised how many argue with me. They don't to be bothered supervising their children.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 11:08 pm
ElTam wrote:
I would assume they allow it at their house and don't think it's a big deal, to be DLKZ. I don't allow it at home, so I wouldn't dream of allowing it somewhere else.

This is what I assume as well. I would never say anything to the parents, I just consider it one more detail involved in having guests. I recently had a guest who kept giving her kid juice in a cup, and she would wander off and spill it. She came back to mom and told her what happened, and mom gave her more. Banging head

What I do to minimize the damage is lock all the doors when we have guests with young kids- closets, bedrooms are all locked. I set aside some toys in the play area near the table and that's what they play with.

staten islander

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 11:09 pm
I actually had to argue with someone this shabbos, she wanted her child to be walking around with popcorn.She insisted, and I spent motzei shabbos chasing errant kernels all over the house

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 12:21 am
staten islander wrote:
I actually had to argue with someone this shabbos, she wanted her child to be walking around with popcorn.She insisted, and I spent motzei shabbos chasing errant kernels all over the house

Guess someone is not being invited back!

Sarah f

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 5:20 am
Unfortunately people are selfish, they may not mind food bits (going moldy ) and crumbs all over the house especially when they have someone else to clean it up!
If you want to come to my house food is in the kitchen(weekday) at the dining table or outside!
Yes it is rather annoying doing the "sweetypie please can u eat at the table or outside..." Especially when mommy can't be bothered!

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 7:22 am
Sarah f wrote:
Unfortunately people are selfish, they may not mind food bits (going moldy ) and crumbs all over the house especially when they have someone else to clean it up!
If you want to come to my house food is in the kitchen(weekday) at the dining table or outside!
Yes it is rather annoying doing the "sweetypie please can u eat at the table or outside..." Especially when mommy can't be bothered!

I think they are selfish in that they don't want to be bothered training their children or they use food to soothe. This is why we have so many overweight children in this community. Food is not a pacifier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics