Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
ISO deserts, snacks- gluten free, sugar free, chemical free
Previous  1  2  3

mini

Post Tue, Oct 11 2011, 9:25 am
My snack can sometimes be pieces of sweet potatoes and could be eaten with tahina

srg100

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 5:28 am
Came across this thread recently. My daughter made me the chocolate ices for my birthday treat.

Delicious!!

tikva18

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:48 pm
nylon wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Can you really just exchange sugar and honey in recipes?

No, because the sweetener in honey is fructose which is sweeter and you have to account for the extra liquid in the honey. It also affects texture because honey is hygroscopic (attracts water) which is why honey cakes and cookies stay soft--I am not sure you could get a crunchy cookie. (By extension, this is why crunchy cookie recipes use white sugar, and chewy cookie recipes use a higher proportion of brown; molasses does the same thing.) Reduce the quantity by 25% (cup for cup... I'd have to do math to do it by weight as honey is heavier than sugar) and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 2 Tb for every cup of honey. I'd recommend using a milder flavored honey, as well.

Brilliance! pure brilliance! thank you!

naomi2

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 8:14 pm
I dont have a recipe, but have you tried cooking with xylitol? it's a natural sweetener from the birch tree. it also has a low glycemic index, doesn't have any aftertase, is exchangable in volume for sugar and is generally not bad for the body (I think too much might act as a laxitive but, that never happened to me). the only problem is that it doesnt react with yeast the way sugar does.

JerseyShore

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 7:33 pm
I love coconut sugar, Pamela's GF baking mixes, tagine spiced roasted squash seeds (we eat a lot of squash), "fudge" made from raw honey, nut butter, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, toasted coconut and chopped nuts.

Apples dipped in tahini mixed with a little honey and date syrup (this is a traditional snack in the Middle East).

We snack on popcorn, veggies and tahini, fruit, homemade fruit leather.

I like to use endive leaves or cucumber slices as "chips" to dip in tahini or tapenade (tuna, olives, tomato paste, garlic, lemon, olive oil and capers (opt).

We don't snack very much except for Shabbat afternoon when we are not actually hungry, just eating for social reasons. So I always try to have an assortment of healthy snacks each week.

Ruach

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:19 pm
check this out, its delicious and so healthy:
http://www.refuashaguf.com/pin.....cake/
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking