Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Milchigs Utensils?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:34 pm
If I bake a cake with milchigs utensils, am I allowed to have it after a fleishigs meal? If the cake is cold (room temperature), can it be eaten on a fleishigs plate? And vice versa: If cake is made with fleishigs utensils, can it be eaten on a milchigs plate? (I am a BT and I am still figuring out how milchigs and fleishigs equipment work with pareve food).

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:56 pm
If the utensils are not ben yomo, that is they have not been used for hot milchigs/fleishigs in the last 24 hours, then there is no problem.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 6:08 pm
OP here, if all of the ingredients and utensils are all cold while I mix the cake batter, does that make a difference? If everything is cold, does the cake batter still take on the status of the utensils?

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 6:23 pm
If you are absolutely sure that the utensils were completely clean and free of grease, then no, the cold ingredients remain parve.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 6:30 pm
You do have to be careful with something considered sharp in halacha. That might include lemons, ginger, cinnamon. I am not sure, but I think lemons. But, only if you are cutting them with a knife, not if they are just included in a mixture.

I have an entire cabinet of pareve utensils, pans, bowls, and a pareve sink, which I love! I can get to my baking even if there are dishes in the milchig sink.

I have all this mainly because I would not be so confident that my milchig or fleishig pot is perfectly clean. Also, if I make a pareve side dish, I like to be able to warm up & serve at a fleishig meal but keep some perfectly pareve to eat during the week.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
You do have to be careful with something considered sharp in halacha. That might include lemons, ginger, cinnamon. I am not sure, but I think lemons. But, only if you are cutting them with a knife, not if they are just included in a mixture.

I have an entire cabinet of pareve utensils, pans, bowls, and a pareve sink, which I love! I can get to my baking even if there are dishes in the milchig sink.

I have all this mainly because I would not be so confident that my milchig or fleishig pot is perfectly clean. Also, if I make a pareve side dish, I like to be able to warm up & serve at a fleishig meal but keep some perfectly pareve to eat during the week.

I actually don't bake by scratch. I always use the Duncan Hines cakes mixes, which only involve eggs, water and oil. So there are no sharp ingredients. I know that onions and garlic are also problematic, as they take on the status of the utensil.
My mother never baked so I never grew up learning so at this point, I just take the easy way out and use the mixes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions