Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Instead of Hot Coffee in chocolate cake

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:03 pm
I'm making a recipe that sounds like it will be for a rich dark chocolate cake. It calls for a cup of strong coffee (but not espresso)
I don't love the taste of mocha.
What can I substitute for the coffee? Or, will I not really TASTE coffee, does it really just kind of make the bitter aspect of the chocolate more noticeable?
Please advise....
debs

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:05 pm
my sil told me to just use a cup of hot water. worked for me.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:15 pm
Adding coffee to chocolate cakes just makes them taste more chocolate-y, not mocha-y.

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:23 pm
I agree that the coffee is not really tasted. I just needed to know what to do when we didnt have any coffee in the house.

heres my funny story: when I was married a couple months I tried my hand at a chocolate cake that my friend used to make. called for a cup of instant coffee. now im not a coffee drinker, and I barely baked before marriage (and my mother almost never baked beyond duncan hines).
so I put in a cup of instant coffee. you know. the grounds. wow did the house smell like coffee. and wow did the cake taste terrible and go straight in the garbage. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins