Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Anyone else with this passion...? ISO ideas

settledin

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 10:18 pm
Hiya all,
All my life I've been passionate about music and singing. As I always say: If I wouldn't have been Jewish, would have dedicated my whole life to singing.
As a child, I had wonderful opportunities to utilize it as there are choirs and productions all thru the young stages.
However, now as a frum married woman, I am feeling father unhappy with my lack of opportunity for singing.
I feel as if a big part of me isn't being expressed... and I know id be oh so much happier when having chances to sing.
Would love some ideas of how one can use their singing talents without compromising our Torah values.
Bring it on... Idea

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 10:54 pm
If you live in NY, there's a group, a choir, that gets together and performs for women.

I know not the same tho, but if you want PM and I'll try to get you the info. Has to do with the Jewish Dance Institute, I believe...

Start a band w/likeminded women? (Such as bullet proof stockings... not sure what your style is...)

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 11:13 pm
In many communities, women perform musical plays or women-only concerts as fundraisers. If that level of organization and effort is beyond you, how about starting a small women's choir just for fun? You could offer to perform at events like the sisterhood luncheon.

If you have composing talent, you can create a Tehillim group that sings all the Tehillim. Or start and direct a girls' choir, through Bnos or a similar group, or on your own. If you have just a duo or trio, you could spend Shabbat afternoons visiting and entertaining older women who live alone .

If women's tefillah groups don't offend your "torah values", being the baalat tefillah or leining is another outlet.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 4:41 am
In London there is a "school" called Dance with Louise. She and her sister both did professional singing and dancing, and then became frum. They now run summer camps for girls and do an annual "Night on Broadway" show with only women and girls singing all kinds of songs, for a ladies' only audience, but it is a very professionally-put together performance.
Either you can start your own programme of this kind, or a summer camp, or an after-school club/extra and offer private or group lessons with a production at the end of the course, etc.

Jewishmofm

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 11:13 pm
check out jewish women's repertory company of LA. Maybe you can get something like that started, or they may be able to direct you to something similar in your area

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 12:06 am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/artsandtorah/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17590181600/

I've been in the frum arts scene since I was 12. I've gotten numerous jobs simply by going to a Jewish women's performance and then finding the director and asking how I could be involved in the next one. I literally got paying jobs that way. Go for it, girl! Believe in yourself, in your talent and your passion, and chase that dream!

That said, I've only ever lived in major Jewish communities (like LA, Lakewood, Brooklyn, Chicago, etc.), so if you're in a smaller community, you may need to take even more initiative and start something yourself.

Feel free to PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics