Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Salvage blintz souffle

eschaya

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 8:42 pm
I made a few easy blintz souffle/casseroles (the kind with frozen blintzes) and maybe because I'm using a new toaster, the top got very dark.
Do any of you have an idea of some sort of topping I can make to cover the ugliness and salvage the good taste?
I was thinking of something maybe with cream cheese or fruit, but I'm only finding frosting and icings online.
Thanks in advance.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:16 pm
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I consider blintzes good only if they're browned, and pale ones about as appealing as cellulite. I'll cheerfully take your disaster off your hands and serve it to my guests.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 10:53 pm
Am I the only person who keeps reading the thread title as "savage blintz souffle"?

Am I the only purist irritated by the snobbery of whoever dubbed that dish "souffle"? A souffle is not a kugel, nor is it a casserole. It is a very specific type of extremely delicate dish, baked in a high-sided round vessel, comprised in large part of stiffly beaten egg whites that puff up to give it volume and height, and that must be served immediately before the fragile puffy structure collapses. If it can sit in your oven or on your table waiting for the company to be ready to eat, it is not a souffle. If it contains blintzes, it is not a souffle. If it doesn't deflate on your plate or in your mouth, it is not a souffle. It may be delicious, it may be delightful, it may contain a dozen beaten eggs per serving, but it is not a souffle.

Grandma 1

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 1:34 am
zaq wrote:
Am I the only person who keeps reading the thread title as "savage blintz souffle"?

Am I the only purist irritated by the snobbery of whoever dubbed that dish "souffle"? A souffle is not a kugel, nor is it a casserole. It is a very specific type of extremely delicate dish, baked in a high-sided round vessel, comprised in large part of stiffly beaten egg whites that puff up to give it volume and height, and that must be served immediately before the fragile puffy structure collapses. If it can sit in your oven or on your table waiting for the company to be ready to eat, it is not a souffle. If it contains blintzes, it is not a souffle. If it doesn't deflate on your plate or in your mouth, it is not a souffle. It may be delicious, it may be delightful, it may contain a dozen beaten eggs per serving, but it is not a souffle.

My Blintz Souffle may not meet all of your criteria, but it certainly puffs up in the oven, and deflates soon after coming out. So as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies as a souffle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals