Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuos Wed night? - Can't prepare food before 9:15 p.m.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 4:53 pm
What do plan on serving for supper Wednesday night since we can't start preparations until after end of first day of Yom Tov?

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 4:55 pm
Chicken Picata, salad and pasta.

I will make dips/salads and if I'm in the mood put some out.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 5:41 pm
I leave my oven on 300 and serve 2 appetizers that don't need a long time to heat up, like salmon or grilled chicken salad than soup which heats up quickly on the stove. By the time we're ready for the main it's been a good 45 minutes since I could start prep and the food is plenty hot.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 5:45 pm
challah
cold fruit soup
poached salmon or proper tuna nicoise salad
atayif or knaiffe

that's about it as we wont be eating till after 10pm.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:00 pm
you can do
challah and dips
cold fish course with salads
hot chicken soup (will have heated through by the time you are ready to serve)
thinly sliced roast heated in cooking liquid, cold rice salad or potato salad or pasta salad, garlic roasted veggies at room temp

everything made before YT and just the later courses left to warm while the first courses are being served

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 6:37 pm
The second night we can't start preparing until 6:30, but no matter time you/we start, we have the same amount of time to prepare. I prepare everything before yom tov and just warm up. I sometimes warm it up before the beginning of the second day because I serve it to the little ones before licht benching.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 7:43 pm
Can't start till 11:15 pm Wednesday night. We're having sweet and sour salmon and rice. I've got plenty time to cook on Tuesday - yom tov doesn't start till 9:38 pm. It's about this time every year that we think about moving. Wink

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 8:19 pm
Challah, salads/ dips and either salmon or grilled chicken, warmed as much as they get after candle lighting. We plan to have a seuda earlier, and then very light meal after shul. To be honest, it may just turn out to be challah and some salad that gets eaten.

I am making a kind of shmorg of lots of salads, dips, plenty of challah, veggies to snack and some quiche, salmon and fishballs so I can put together a meal quickly, and they can be snacked on anytime, so odd mealtimes, like post neitz davenning, aren't a problem, and we eat more healthily. I do the same for a long summer shabbos, because we don't do late heavy meals. I do like to experiment with funky salads, so it is more shabbosdik than it sounds, as I never do this for a weekday.

UQT

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 8:40 pm
Move the prepared food the fridge on Tuesday before Yom Tov starts so it's not frozen solid. That said, I'm doing chicken kabobs for the main course because it's quick to bake.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 9:54 pm
Only foods that can be made ahead and eaten cold. Borsht or gazpacho, yogurt, salads, cheeses, gefilte fish, dips like hummus and babaganush, that sort of thing. That late no one will want a big meal anyway and we could end up having just motzi, a bowl of borsht with yogurt, and dessert.

Happy2B1

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:22 pm
On pesach I warmed up my soup and chicken earlier and fed my kids. I ate somethings too. It's late. So I hope to do the same now. Warm up more than I need but in one pot, so the food will be warm already when we can eat the meal.

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Jun 01 2014, 10:25 pm
If you eat from the foods while you're making it, you can cook earlier.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 4:37 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
If you eat from the foods while you're making it, you can cook earlier.

This is pretty much my go-to answer for everything. I always have to taste and snack along the way. Cooking makes me hungry!

Cooking on Yom Tov feels too much like "work" for me, so I tend to go with casseroles for the main dish, and lots of salads, fresh fruit, and other assorted side dishes. I like things that can be easily assembled, and even cooked, in advance. I just warm them up on the blech.

STMommy

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 1:05 pm
here's what I'm thinking of doing, does this make sense? Warm up my yom tov food for wednesday night to serve my kids for dinner earlier in the evening. I'll take it out of the oven that I leave on once theyve eaten but leave it on the counter rather than put it back in the fridge.

persephonefalls

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 11:37 am
We're making a macaroni and cheese recipe that first gets cooked on the stovetop, and then baked in the oven. We'll make it on Weds afternoon, sample some, and then stick it in the oven.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 12:37 pm
I just prepare it for a late snack and then use the leftovers for the next day.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 12:39 pm
nightfall is about 11pm or something like that here. Our rav said we can make kiddush early and eat at a normal time.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 03 2014, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Can't start till 11:15 pm Wednesday night. We're having sweet and sour salmon and rice. I've got plenty time to cook on Tuesday - yom tov doesn't start till 9:38 pm. It's about this time every year that we think about moving. Wink

Wow. Where do you live?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics