Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Shalom zachor - chickpeas

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 5:22 am
This might sound like a really silly question...what sort of chickpeas do I put out at a shalom zachor? Do I just rinse a tin of chickpeas and put them out? Is there something specific I need to buy.
Thanks

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 12:20 pm
DH said that he usually sees a can dumped into a bowl. I couldn't do that so I added salt & pepper for taste, and paprika and dried parsley for color. He said it was a big improvement. It looked like a salad, not just being yotzei "Arbis"

DH finished it for ss

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 4:58 pm
Easy and best solution.

Open can or two of chickpeas, drain and rinse well, then pat dry/ let drip in colander for few minutes.

Spread them out on cookie tray or baking tray/ piece of foil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Spray v lightly with oil (not necessary, but tastes good). Bake in oven med/ high temp for 2o minutes or until slightly hardened but not completely, still soft inside. I tend to turn the oven off and leave them in / forget about them for an hour or several.

Put on dish, serve. If you want, put some fresh coriander or parsley on to garnish.

I do this instead of croutons in mixed salads, tastes great alone or mixed in with green salad, so you can use the leftovers for shabbos.

mommy27

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 6:48 pm
A quick recipe is to mince some fresh garlic cloves and mix it into the chickpeas (canned) along with an oniony salad dressing (like vidalia onion dressing). I don't personally enjoy chickpeas, but those who like them tell me it's good.

octopus

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 6:49 pm
my bros told me that the men just take the chickpeas with their fingers from the serving dishes. Puke Sick

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
This might sound like a really silly question...what sort of chickpeas do I put out at a shalom zachor? Do I just rinse a tin of chickpeas and put them out? Is there something specific I need to buy.
Thanks
Either cook up a pkg of dried chickpeas, or rinse and drain cans of ready chickpeas (get rid of the thick sauce).
Then season very well with sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
Mazel Tov on the Shalom Zachor!

pumpernickle

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 9:53 pm
I can't believe you all use the cans... Good old fashioned garbanzo beans soaked overnight and then cooked for 2-3 hrs. Drain and add salt, sugar, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 10:36 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
I can't believe you all use the cans... Good old fashioned garbanzo beans soaked overnight and then cooked for 2-3 hrs. Drain and add salt, sugar, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

I used to always use the cans, then I found that all the cans are lined with BPA. no more canned beans here.

copypaste

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 12:13 am
The grocery shelves are fully stocked with ready to eat chickpeas. I buy one every week. For shalom zucher I usually buy few containers. It's delicious.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 2:05 am
pumpernickle wrote:

I generally don't use cans, but the OP has presumably just had a baby, is inexperienced in using dried pulses and asking for a simpler solution. It is easy to overcook dried chickpeas and end up with a big mush, which on erev shabbos, post shavuot, is not conducive to feeling calm Exclamation

I would guess if she regularly used dried beans and pulses she may have a broader repertoire of chick pea recipes to call on. DLKZ.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 2:09 am
Frumdoc wrote:
I generally don't use cans, but the OP has presumably just had a baby, is inexperienced in using dried pulses and asking for a simpler solution. It is easy to overcook dried chickpeas and end up with a big mush, which on erev shabbos, post shavuot, is not conducive to feeling calm Exclamation

I would guess if she regularly used dried beans and pulses she may have a broader repertoire of chick pea recipes to call on. DLKZ.

That's how I felt... Open the can, season, serve. I don't care for chickpeas myself. I'm for sure not preparing them within six days of birth- I'm not preparing anything!

pumpernickle

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 5:40 am
Iymnok wrote:
That's how I felt... Open the can, season, serve. I don't care for chickpeas myself. I'm for sure not preparing them within six days of birth- I'm not preparing anything!

Makes sense. Op asked how it's done, didn't occur to me to just say buy a ready container in the local grocery store.. I realized everyone was giving recipes from the can so I was surprised. Btw, buying ready chic peas from the grocery is almost the same price as buying a can....

Mazel tov to the shalom zocher!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics