Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you have a smart phone?
Previous  1  2

What kind of phone do you have?
smart phone  
 61%  [ 127 ]
regular / old phone  
 34%  [ 71 ]
no phone  
 0%  [ 2 ]
other (not sure what that could be, but here is that option :) )  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 206

Queen6

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 7:35 pm
When the iPhones became popular I was one of the first to get it. I can't say I was obsessed but I loved it. Recently I just had enough those what's app chats made me so nervous, taking pictures all day became ridiculous. My kids wanted to use it.... I said enough so enough and I went back to an old phone and bought a camera Smile
I thought it would take time to get used to but let me tell you I don't miss it for a second. I'm perfectly fine. I have more than enough technology in my house so I'm not exactly with nothing. But I'm perfectly fine going out and not sharing it with EVERYONE I know. I look at people with smart phones and think they're crazy.
Do yourself a favor - get rid of it.

vet techy

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 7:38 pm
My boss just got me the top of the line one for work and play. Know I have to be on call all the time.yay me.

sequoia

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 7:53 pm
I don't have a functional computer at the moment. Or a laptop. Or an ipad or other tablet. Or a kindle. Or a watch or alarm clock. Or a house phone.

MY ENTIRE LIFE is in my iphone.

Works for me Smile

Shoshie

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 9:27 am
I am concerned that a smartphone would be smarter than I am. And logically, shouldn't a person be smarter than her phone?

I have a flip qwerty phone and love it. It does all I need. Every time I've borrowed someone's smartphone, I feel like Alice in Wonderland after she ate the "Eat Me" cakes. My fingers are too big to type on a smartphone keyboard.

Marion

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 11:15 am
What Etky said, way back on page 1.

abaker

Post Mon, Jun 02 2014, 2:53 pm
I have an old blackberry with no data plan/internet so I voted other. but its basically just a regular old phone.

we have an ipad and laptop at home...I dont need internet on the go.

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 12:54 pm
So I'm joining the smartphone group. I found a cheap Chinese Android phone. DH keeps losing his phones and I'm really tired of replacing them, and I currently walk around with 2 phones. The only model(s) I could find that would take both my SIM cards were smartphones; so I'm getting one of those and DH can use one of my "dumb" phones with his SIM. A dumb phone is enough for him; he can't even figure out an SMS.

mom2six

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 3:39 pm
I have a kosher phone. It really does nothing except make calls. Oh, it has a calculator and an alarm clock and maybe some other little features like that. No texts.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jun 05 2014, 5:53 pm
I am at home a lot of the time with a computer so I pushed off having a smartphone for a long time. Recently, we started a plan that had a promo for 6 or 8 months at 35 shekels a month for data so I am using an extra smartphone that dh had around finally! Can't say I felt I needed it but I did want to join whatsapp for a few groups that I joined and need to be told of changes in schedule. I now understand the habit of being constantly glued to your phone. It is addicting.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 12:05 am
I have a smart phone and unfortunately became dependent on it (gps, quick info lookup via web, checking email and access to emails when I'm out). I find it's been really helpful with me in caring for my special needs child when we're always out at appointments, and I need info, things for him to do, etc.

I have the phone itself password protected, and applock to password protect certain apps like the web browser. That's it for the 'kashering.'

BUT in my heart of hearts I really just want a dumb phone, a visibly kosher phone. I would like to be less and less connected to everything, I feel like it's something I need to grow spiritually (which I totally understand not EVERYONE needs, only that it's for me)... But Hashem gave us such a neshama to take care of and when I think of how helpful a computer and esp. the smartphone has been, in lieu of say, any family support, I can't ever imagine me quitting the phone. Sad I keep telling Hashem that the moment he has a refuah shleimah, I'll quit the internet cold turkey. (so if you don't hear from me in a while, you'll know it's for good news... Wink )

copypaste

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 1:53 am
I chose a smart phone cause I like the phone. communicating thru text is very simple and easy and the camera/video is so handy for me. ( don't have a digital camera) but web, Twitter, Facebook, AppStore etc is blocked. Whatsapp I have cause we're in a big family group and there I get to hear and see all news in my family.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:49 am
No smart phone for me. I bought one but it outsmarted me so I gave it to my teen.

I like my flip phone with real buttons. It's a sensory thing.

buzz

Post Sat, Jun 07 2014, 10:05 pm
smartphone - the best coz of whatsapp and browser for stuff I need to find out on the fly

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 2:15 am
Prepaid plan blackberry cuz its affordable with much of the pros of smartphone.
Wouldn't mind more access to some apps but I'm set on the keyboard. (Chani8- yes to sensory! I can't deal with touch keyboard)
Need email access for work and appreciate not needing a comp to google quick things.
Great for when I'm nursing- can go on imamother Smile and like havin camera tho I wouldn't say its best camera out there.
Dh has old samsung phn cuz doesn't want all the internet distraction on his phn (thank G-d cuz he gets enough from laptop... If on his phn would really be not cool)
So blackberry it is for me until one of the better stuff comes out with bb keyboard!

Btw, what's all this what's app group stuff? I have the app but thought it was just another way to text...

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 9:03 am
I have a smartphone. A cheap one.
I bought it only because of whatsapp. It is the only way I keep in touch with all my family and friends in the UK etc and I love it for that.

But I hate being constantly on call. It is so much harder to put your phone away for supper or to talk when it has so much more on it.
I barely use my computer these days because my phone is small and easy to browse fast.

It definitely has its pros and cons and for me the pros outweigh the cons.

SJcookie

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 9:10 am
I have a "kosher phone" - aka the old phones that basically only make/receive calls. Iphones/smart phones don't fly well in the circles that I'm in.
I used to have an iphone and really liked it. Especially the myfitnesspal app, the fruit slicer game, & being able to snap/send pics all within seconds. I miss having one at times and would definitely have one if the Rabbis here allowed it LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics