Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
For those of you who serve meaty on Shavuot
1  2  Next

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:28 am
Do you serve meaty because you (and your family) holds to the inyan of "ein simcha ela basar veyain"?
Or do you have other reasons?

If the former, are you also makpid about serving wine with Shabbat/YT seuda?
(and if not, why?)

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:30 am
First reason plus taste, we luv meat. Though we do not hold we have to do it for every meal.

No wine because to us it is not enjoyable (and actually bad for me headache wise).

mandksima

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 6:34 am
We actually had meat for dinner and pareve for lunch. No dairy at all in the house ever for health reasons. For YomTov, I made special food that we don't normally have and actually bought a bottle of flavored champagne for the chag that I never buy. We never have fish and meat at the same meal (unless lots of guests who prefer that) as it is too much food for us. We are small eaters here but like good food.

tryinghard

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:06 am
We do mostly dairy because we love it and it's a fun opportunity to make fancy dair (when else can I do that realistically?) but we do one meat meal because we really like meat as well...

kb

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:17 am
Not 100% sure if it's so much the minhag or taste preferences passed down in the family, but we only do meat. And yes, we are also makpid about wine at shabbos and yom gov (and chop hamoed) meals. Again, can be chalked up to minhag or taste, depending on how cynical you want to be. Very Happy

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:19 am
We have dairy on the first morning, as that is what my family holds to be the minhag.
We have meat on the rest of the days. Also, my DH does not like dairy AT ALL. Other than Wacky Mac... and pizza... so that's why we have lots of meat

lfab

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 10:30 am
I do one dairy meal and the rest meat. Probably because that's the way my parents did it. Also, husband feels you're supposed to have meat on yom tov. However, we're not makpid on having wine on Shabbos or yom tov.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jun 06 2014, 2:43 pm
We have meat (with wine!) for the night meals, and dairy (with wine!) for the day meals.

willow

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 7:14 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Do you serve meaty because you (and your family) holds to the inyan of "ein simcha ela basar veyain"?

(and if not, why?)

Yes and yes. At the day meal we make a full dairy meal with champagne and later another meat meal.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 7:27 am
It's our minhag to have fish and meat on Yom Tov.

There are probably many reasons behind the minhag of eating dairy and meaty on Shavuos. This is just one thought that I once heard: When Hashem wanted to give us the Torah the malachim said they wanted it, however Hashem said they didn't keep the halachos as they ate meat with dairy when they ate by Avraham Avinu. To show that we don't eat both dairy and meat together we first eat a dairy meal (kiddush) then wait, and then eat the meat meal. I presume to show that yes, we do eat both, but not together.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 8:08 am
Yes and yes. We also enjoy both meat and wine and do not usually have them during chol.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:08 am
I've always done a dairy meal or two on Shavuos, and it's something my girls really look forward to - I have gorgeous place mats and napkins that go with dairy China I inherited from my grandmother, and I have a scrumptious dairy menu I've always done.....

As it turns out, though, I'm going to be hosting my father for Shavous this year, and he insists on all of the meals being meaty on Yom Tov. DH is fine with this, and says I should just serve a Kiddush in the morning of the first day, before the meal, and a late dairy supper on the second day.

The girls are disappointed though...I don't think that for a Kiddush I'll set up with the dairy china and all, if I have to follow that with a meaty meal setup.....I could do the supper with China, though it'll be late in the day and I don't know if DH will even come home then, there's usually Neilas HaChag in Shul at that time.

Trying to decide on my menu around all of this.....ideas welcome.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:09 pm
In my family, we are not big on minhagim. We eat what we want. There is an inyan to eat dairy so we usually have at least one dairy meal. If we don't want to we don't. I usually do a mix of both because we like variety.

etky

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:24 pm
I had a feeling this topic was going to come up.
I insist on 2 dairy meals (okay one is really parve) because this is the one chag that I get to cook and eat the type of food that I really enjoy and never get to make on Shabbat/chag.
And to set the table with DH's grandmother's blue and white Royal Copenhagen china that is so pretty. It only comes out once a year Sad

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:45 pm
Both Dh and I grew up on meat meals for Shavuos because both of our fathers strongly felt that yom tov meals should have meat. In both our houses, there was cheesecake with kiddush and then half an hour wait for the main meat meal. Since I dislike most things dairy, including cheesecake, I do not mind the meat meals. Should we ever decide to deviate from the strictly meat fare, we would most likely revert to pareve, perhaps with dairy ice cream for dessert.

With regards to wine, both families agree that it is an integral part of simchas hachag, including on chol hamoed. In Dh's family, wine = grape juice, as opposed to in my family where wine contains real alcohol.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:55 pm
I love meat but not necessarily for lunch, and not for 4 or 6 meals in a row. I make the type of milchig food I never make much otherwise...creamy pastas and the like. Usually for lunch, and we serve fish as well. Anyone who is makpid to have meat is welcome to have some meat later.

my husband likes milchig meals, especially desserts.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:56 pm
We do it for the first reason you mentioned. But we do have a small milchig meal with kiddush right when dh comes home from shul and wait a while and then have the meat meal. But we'll definitely not just have our main meal dairy.
Also yes to the wine. I mean I don't serve it, but dh is makpid to have some wine with every yomtov meal and chol hamoed meal. And he's not a wine drinker, he doesn't actually like it much.

sourstix

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:26 pm
we eat milchig and meat both. milchig bec of minhag. and meat bec its yomtov and thats what is eaten on yomtov

yenny

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:23 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I've always done a dairy meal or two on Shavuos, and it's something my girls really look forward to - I have gorgeous place mats and napkins that go with dairy China I inherited from my grandmother, and I have a scrumptious dairy menu I've always done.....

As it turns out, though, I'm going to be hosting my father for Shavous this year, and he insists on all of the meals being meaty on Yom Tov. DH is fine with this, and says I should just serve a Kiddush in the morning of the first day, before the meal, and a late dairy supper on the second day.

The girls are disappointed though...I don't think that for a Kiddush I'll set up with the dairy china and all, if I have to follow that with a meaty meal setup.....I could do the supper with China, though it'll be late in the day and I don't know if DH will even come home then, there's usually Neilas HaChag in Shul at that time.

Trying to decide on my menu around all of this.....ideas welcome.

Can I have your dairy menu and recipes?

amother
White

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:15 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

(and if not, why?)

Yes, all our meals are fleishig. Because of"ein simcha ela basar veyayin", and yes, we do serve wine with most seudahs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics