Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Please please help me!!!!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 10:50 am
I'm at wits end! My 3 year old dd cries constantly. Every tiny little thing that doesn't go her way, every time someone touches her by mistake or says something to her she is in tears and kvetching and crying along. And if something a little more serious happens like she wants a certain place and someone is sitting there already all hell breaks loose. It feels like we have a constant noise machine on in this house. I tend to make everyone just let her have her way to avoid her cries, which I know is wrong. And on top of all this she had phobias of EVERYTHING. Should a fly try go near her or just breath within the same area as her the noise level becomes unbearable. Or if a baby should touch her hair phew!!!!! She wakes up a lot with nightmares and doesn't even know why she is screaming in middle if the night I can't even always get her to wake up then...
I don't know what To do anymore. Non of my kids were that way and I don't know what to do. Do I seek help? Do I use some sorta method myself?
Please fellow moms help a mom who is lost....

bnm

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:10 am
is this an ongoing thing or something recent?

marina

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:11 am
I would see a child psychologist right away.

bnm

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:16 am
and a full physical with blood work. Does the kid have sensory issues? My kids get whacky when they are sick, sometimes thats the only symptom.

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:25 am
If onset was sudden definitely demand that your pediatrician test for PANDAS.

If she's always been this way your giving in is surely making it worse.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:30 am
My DD was pretty much like this at 2-3.5. She also had night terrors for an entire year, exactly like you describe, screaming, she would have no idea why, she wouldn't even remember it the next morning.

Now at 4, it's mostly gone away. Recently I've noticed it reemerging for a few days and then disappearing again, I'm guessing due to extra tiredness/growth spurt.

Do you find that it's worse in the mornings before she's eaten, in the afternoon when she crashes, and at bedtime? Does she still nap during the day? Is she getting enough sleep? You mention a baby - how old is the baby? DD's night terrors got significantly worse after DD2 was born, and stayed that way for a good 6 months at least.

What worked with my DD (except for time to just let it run its course) was to supply her with a lot of information (knowledge is power) and control over her environment, while at the same time not overwhelming her with too many choices. And spending chunks of time throughout the day reassuring her, cuddling her, letting her know the baby won't crowd her away. Maybe giving her special activities that are only for "big girls" and not for babies, that she can play with at a table where the baby can't touch.

bookworm10

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:43 am
I would go to the doctor. If its a new thing especially, as a previous poster said, and test for PANDAS.

Otherwise, if it is not going away, I would seek help. Ask your pediatrician to refer you to either an OT, psychologist, etc.

CP123

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 4:27 pm
Sounds like your dd could benefit from some therapy - either a psychologist for the phobias and other emotional things (having a hard time not getting her way), and possibly PT/OT for sensory things.

Please get her help - you will ALL feel better.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 4:35 pm
It sounds like a few things might be going on here. So I'll say what I always say: get a good pediatric neuropsych eval and they will refer you further. Until then, you really won't know what kind of professional/s will be most helpful.

ETA: But your first stop should be the pediatrician to r/o anything physical/medical.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 9:03 pm
Op here:
Thanks for all your replies, I will take her to my pediatrician tommorow iyh and ask him to direct me further.
One poster asked how old my baby after her is. My baby is over a year already kh.... So I doubt this is what is affecting her.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:58 pm
I think everyone has given really good advice, I just wanted to ask if DD is on a good sleep schedule. If she is waking alot during the night, is she sleeping enough? In addition to everyone else's ideas, to me, some of her behavior sounds just plain tired.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 12:27 am
Right to all of the above, absolutely.

I just want to add that what she eats should include animal fats. Do not feed her lean. Butter on her cracker, stuff like that. Eggs. They have a valuable nutrient called choline. Bits of chicken meat without the bone. Whatever she will accept that's got protein and fat. And the usual pediatric vitamins.

Poor little kid. I hope you have success soon. You sound like a very concerned mom.

Hugs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers