Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Supper time? And what snacks in between?

What time do you serve your kids supper?
soon after they get home from school?  
 19%  [ 6 ]
5pm  
 38%  [ 12 ]
6pm  
 41%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 31

windowsill

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:09 pm
My kids are always hungry, regardless of when I serve them supper.
I tried after school, by 6 they are hungry again
I tried 6, they snack after school cuz they're starving, and at 8 they're hungry again

What do you give them when they are hungry??

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:10 pm
Fruits/veggies

If milichig then cheese

Or try can have more supper

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:12 pm
lots of cut up fruit
hard boiled eggs
yogurts
a cup of milk
veggie sticks
crackers and chumus
sandwiches

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:13 pm
I serve my kids supper as soon as they get home which is about 4 30 =5. Before they go to bed they eat cereal cause they are always hungry.

My problem is that on vacation they are ALWAYS hungry even after I fed them a big meal.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:16 pm
My kids (5 and 2.5 yrs old) get a snack at 3 (about 40 min after they get home), supper around 5ish/5:30 and bed around 6:30.

Because of the play group schedule, this means that they're eating every 2-3 hours throughout the day (from meal to snack to meal and so on).

They only complain they're hungry when going through a growth spurt.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 5:26 pm
my house is a food fest from 3:15-9. seriously, its ridiculous.
dd(4) eats a small snack when she gets home at 3:15. my homeschoolers usually snack then too. ds(7) gets home around 4:30, I serve him and dd(4) dinner then. by 5, he's looking for a snack, usually fruit or a cookie. dd (15) gets home around 5:30, she snacks and takes a nap (I know). ds's (13 and 10) usually eat dinner around 5:30, dh gets home at 6:30 - he and I eat alone which is kinda nice and makes up for the fact that I run a cafeteria. dd(15) eats right after us. ds's (13 and 10) snack around 8 ish, dd (15) usually has her tea and cookies while she studies. I officially close my kitchen after I clean up all the dinnerware. the older kids can eat what they like but I dont want to see any evidence that they did.

I have tried so many different permutations so that we can all sit down to a family meal, but this just works best. and it allows the kids to have more of my attention, and there's less fighting at the table.

snacks here are usually fruit, veggies, dry cereal, yogurt, string cheese, cookies

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 10:28 pm
Usually supper ready immediately after school bc kids come home starving. We eat then and then keep the food warm & available till bedtime. We have "last call for food" about half an hour before bed. I think it's also different because we have all ages in this house. Some kids home at 3, some often out till 8 or 9. Lots of additional snacking goes on - fruit, crackers, cereal, toast - whatever the kids want to make themselves, really.

asp40

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 11:00 pm
I get home with the kids around 5:30 (all elementary school ages) and they have a snack. Usually a granola bar, cheese or fruit. Then we all eat dinner as a family around 6:30 when my husband comes home. If he will be much later then we start without him.

I love eating together and we try to do it every night. Sometimes of course we cannot due to sports, appt and such but we try.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:01 am
Supper is at 6:30 and I'm not mevater on it- the entire family eats together. Don't like it or not hungry? Sit and watch everyone we eat but during supper you are at the table. After school (4ish) they have a super snack or some chips, ices, fruit, salad if there's any cut up, or cereal. Then they don't usually eat until supper is served. They start going to bed soon after supper so no need for more snacks afterward. In the summer there's a lot more drinking and ices than snacking going on anyway.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 7:13 am
My kids have a main meal at lunch (around 1:30 - 2:30), a snack when they come home (fruit, a muffin, 1/2 a sandwich), and supper 6:30 - 7:00 (eggs, pasta, leftovers, soup type suppers).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:47 am
I have never heard of such early suppers.
My kids are home at 5!!
They get their 4 pm snack/meal at school.
Dinner is like, 8.

buzz

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:54 am
Home after all pickups at 4.30, so after baths and homework for my 6 and 5 yr old, dinner is always at 5.

Bedtime at 6 so no snacks before and no snacks after.

My 2 yr old will have a fruit and a little carb at around 3/315 latest

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 10:57 am
My ds goes to my sil after school while I work.
Over there she serves him apple, pretzels, string cheese etc when he comes home. Sometimes potato chips too.
If she has supper ready before 6 (when dh picks him up) then he eats some supper such as pizza or shnitzel. Otherwise we eat when we get home around 615/630. He will eat whatever we are eating such as chicken and rice or grilled cutlets veggies and couscous.

When I was home with him when he came home I gave him apples, pretzels, cereal bar, cookie or yoghurt. Then supper at 615 when dh came home. He is often not hungry depends how well he ate in school. He is always thirsty though.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:54 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I have never heard of such early suppers.
My kids are home at 5!!
They get their 4 pm snack/meal at school.
Dinner is like, 8.

my kids are early risers, no matter what time they go to bed. so bedtime starts at 6:30 here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children