Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Making Shabbos early

amother

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 2:36 am
What are the guidelines for making an early Shabbos? Does everyone hold that it's allowed to make an early Shabbos? How do you decide when to bring Shabbos in, is it an exact time or approximate? Does it matter what time of year it is? Is it okay to start bringing Shabbos in early already? I'm in Eretz Yisroel, if that makes a difference.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 2:49 am
Not everyone holds that it is okay.

It's an exact time.. you need a minyan to go to that davens early.

The Torah tidbits publishes the earliest you can light candles in the summer ...

Here's a useful link - http://www.ou.org/torah/tt/576.....y.htm

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 2:59 am
There should be a more recent link somewhere...those times are 4 years old.

e1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 4:21 am
you can bentch licht any time after plag mincha (which should be on your calendar.)
mincha time is also based on plag - but different probably everywhere.)
I love early shabbos -- I know not everyone here holds of it but b'h dh does.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 4:31 am
One place we lived started early Shabbat only after Shavuot so there wouldn't be a problem with forgetting to count the Omer (with early Shabbat shul on Friday night ends too early to count)

lst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:09 am
One thing to make sure of - your husband (and you and anyone else who may daven mincha) should daven mincha before plag. if they dont, it can be a problem to daven maariv before tzeit hacochavim

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:29 pm
We do this. Shul has a minyan at 6;15, my husband and boys go then, I usually do a couple of last minute things, then light closer to 6:45ish. I like to have candles all lit when the guys come home.

The men say shema after tzeit, as you cannot say it with early shabbat.

rivka6

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 8:17 pm
My Rabbi taught that if the whole community takes on shabbos early, you are invididually required to also. Anyone else hold by this? So since our small community davens 7 pm in starting after pesah, maariv, I have to becht licht by then.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 8:54 pm
We do take shabbos early,

My hubby goes to daven by 7pm since after pesach.
I have to Tzin Lecht by 7pm and that is for the whole summer.
As the time progresses ie the lighting time is later and later, you have to have accept shabbos with lighting. Some people do not hold like this before making early shabbos

Your lighting time has to be according to when your husband is davening Minchah/kabbalas Shabbat this is the time when you have to light.
So it is a specific time.

From what I know it is a common practice to bring Shabbos early in many communities specially when you have young children,...

On a personal note I love early shabbos, it feels great to add more shabbos in our shavuah, it adds more peace I find B'H'

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 7:44 am
Women don't need to light when their husbands go to shul. My FIL, is always very careful not to enter the house until the regular candle lighting time has passed. This way my MIL can cook and clean until the zeman, although usually, we light before that time.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:27 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Women don't need to light when their husbands go to shul. My FIL, is always very careful not to enter the house until the regular candle lighting time has passed. This way my MIL can cook and clean until the zeman, although usually, we light before that time.

YMMV on this. CYLOR as one here has said that ideally the women should be mekabel Shabbos about the time of Mizmor Shir in shul, usually about ten minutes after plag.

And I couldn't light when my husband leaves even if I wanted to. He leaves about twenty minutes before plag for mincha. I can't light till plag no matter how ready I may be.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 11:57 am
Maybe it is different but by us when we make early shabbos, they daven minchah, kabalas shabbos and arvit one after the other.

So lets say they call minchah for 6h30pm which is usually the case for the rest of the summer, they are done Minchah by 7hish and they go right into kabalas shabbos and then Maariv.

So by 7ish I have to have Tzin Lecht since we go by if he is accepting Shabbos so are we at around the same time.

He comes home, he says Shema (if it is the right time) and then we do Shalom Aleichem,...

Anybody else holds like that?

coconutbutter

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:24 am
Bumping this up. I don't really understand. How do you calculate the time to take Shabbos in? When people say they are taking Shabbos in early, isn't it usually the same time, not just when you are ready after Zman Plag Mincha?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:32 am
coconutbutter wrote:
Bumping this up. I don't really understand. How do you calculate the time to take Shabbos in? When people say they are taking Shabbos in early, isn't it usually the same time, not just when you are ready after Zman Plag Mincha?

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone explained it this way:
Mincha at shul is usually at about 15 minutes before plag. I don't light before plag but at plag or within five minutes. So we're all being mekabel Shabbos at about the same time. I believe that it's ok, though not preferred, to light more than a bit after.

Liba

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:49 am
If you are asking in terms of making Shabbos early this week for a zechus for our buchrim, we are lighting early and saying tehillim/learning in their zechus. We are not davening early and having our sudah early. This is purely adding onto shabbos as a zechus, not a convenience.

coconutbutter

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:51 am
Liba wrote:
If you are asking in terms of making Shabbos early this week for a zechus for our buchrim, we are lighting early and saying tehillim/learning in their zechus. We are not davening early and having our sudah early. This is purely adding onto shabbos as a zechus, not a convenience.

Ok, well what time is lighting by you then?

Liba

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:59 am
coconutbutter wrote:
Ok, well what time is lighting by you then?

regularly? 7:12pm. We are lighting at 6:24pm since that is the latest we have found for plag and we have to be careful that we not light before plag (I was previously told plag was 6:18 so we were going to light at 6:19pm).

Abby2

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 5:02 am
Sorry to hijack this thread. Does anyone know, according to halocha, if you can light 3 extra candles.

There have been messages going round to do so for the kidnapped boys and I was wondering if anyone has a halachik perspective. Obviously I want to do anything in my power to help, but it must be right too.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 5:22 am
Abby2, I'd get to the source of the email and ask.Tosefes Shabbos (which of course does not mean lighting and being mekabel early if one's making Shabbos at plag) as a zechus has sources. Logically, the idea is to show our chashivus for Shabbos, which is the day of menucha, answers, and bracha. I'm sure there are other approaches too. As for lighting extra candles, there is a poignant symbolism, and if it arouses us to daven harder and feel for each other more, then yes, that's a zechus, but I'm not sure what's inherent in the extra candle lighting. I'd be interested in any answers you find.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions