Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Potty mouthed Frum boy on Americas Got Talent.Chillul Hashem
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

marina

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:39 am
what was talented about that performance? I don't get it from a secular pov. A kid comes on and tells dumb jokes? Even if they were clean? Who cares?

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:37 am
marina wrote:
what was talented about that performance? I don't get it from a secular pov. A kid comes on and tells dumb jokes? Even if they were clean? Who cares?

Yes, that's exactly the point. He wasn't put through because he's a kid telling unfunny filthy jokes; he was put through because he's a kid in a yarmulka telling unfunny filthy jokes. The kid IS the joke. How could his parents not see this?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:29 am
So is it boiling down to this: Massive chillul Hashem for which all involved will need to do teshuva and prove themselves for the rest of their natural lives, if not future lives, or a big fat mistake and let's move on? I'm inclined toward the latter, with a nod towards yes, no question it was a chllul Hashem. It's over.

b from nj

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So is it boiling down to this: Massive chillul Hashem for which all involved will need to do teshuva and prove themselves for the rest of their natural lives, if not future lives, or a big fat mistake and let's move on? I'm inclined toward the latter, with a nod towards yes, no question it was a chllul Hashem. It's over.

PF, how pray tell is this over? All the judges said yes & he will be back on TV for the next round of the competition. I'm glad you think it's over but it's not & who knows what will come out of his mouth for the next round especially now that he is proudly known as #naughtyjosh.

Last edited by b from nj on Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:33 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
His parents (and depending how much responsibility you can place on josh himself). No one else had any part in this AFAIK, so why would they be held responsible? I'm confident that his rabbis and school never would have supported this.

I don't think it's his community's *fault* that he is on television telling these crude jokes. But I must admit, I can't help but wonder in what sort of community such behavior is accepted, or even considered normal.

To be honest, I wouldn't want my kids socializing with this boy or his family. I'd worry what sort of language and ideas they would pick up.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:39 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't think it's his community's *fault* that he is on television telling these crude jokes. But I must admit, I can't help but wonder in what sort of community such behavior is accepted, or even considered normal.

These parents seem so over-the-top-inappropriate to me that I wouldn't make any judgments about their community. I would assume that any normal, healthy parent in any community would find this as disturbing as I do. And as many people in the audience clearly did.

b from nj

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:42 am
DrMom wrote:

To be honest, I wouldn't want my kids socializing with this boy or his family. I'd worry what sort of language and ideas they would pick up.

I'd be especially worried for my daughters to hang out with him...

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:43 am
5*Mom wrote:
These parents seem so over-the-top-inappropriate to me that I wouldn't make any judgments about their community. I would assume that any normal, healthy parent in any community would find this as disturbing as I do. And as many people in the audience clearly did.

Yes, but I thought other posters said his family was considered a prominent family in their community. That just seems so weird to me.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:54 am
b from nj wrote:
PF, how pray tell is this over? All the judges said yes & he will be back on TV for the next round of the competition. I'm glad you think it's over but it's not & who knows what will come out of his mouth for the next round especially now that he is proudly known as #naughtyjosh.

I don't follow AGT so didn't know there was a round two. Oh well... I suspect that between this thread and lots of other ink, real or virtual, there's been ample ma'chaa though. I will admit that if his next round is more of the same, yeah, that sounds like more than a one time error in judgment. But I still can't countenance besmirching the community, or demanding some evidence of public outrage from rabbis, school, etc. At the very least, let's give them a little more time to figure out the best thing to do and I for one don't need to know what plan of attack they come up with.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:57 am
b from nj wrote:
PF, how pray tell is this over? All the judges said yes & he will be back on TV for the next round of the competition.

Well, if there is continued publicity, positive or negative, they'll keep putting him through. Maybe if we all move on (talking to myself here) this can die a natural death.

b from nj

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:19 am
5*Mom wrote:
Well, if there is continued publicity, positive or negative, they'll keep putting him through. Maybe if we all move on (talking to myself here) this can die a natural death.

It doesn't work that way. Round 2 is more difficult. There is no audience & it's just in front of the judges & I'm sure he won't make it too far in the competition past that but it's embarrassing enough that he will be going on TV again for round 2 & I'm cringing already & for those here who will obviously jump on me & say, so don't watch it, it's not about burying my head in sand & pretending it doesn't exist. Ignorance is not bliss.

Last edited by b from nj on Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

mille

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:19 am
b from nj wrote:

I speculate as someone who DOES actually watch AGT, they might not even show his act next round. A lot of acts go through to the next round (Vegas), but they don't show all of them, particularly if they were not good/not memorable and were only let through the first round for the novelty. Last year, they had several comedians and only showed the full acts of the 2ish that went through to the third round, they showed one joke or nothing of the other comedians in Vegas.

I am not saying for sure it's 'over', but since his delivery isn't good and it was just a novelty, I would not be surprised if they don't show him again. And if they do, he certainly won't make it through to the semi finals.

That's my speculation watching this show for many years and seeing the trends in these novelty acts, at least!

Either way, give it 6 months. No one will even really remember this happened, whether they show him once or twice.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 11:42 am
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I honestly don't consider this to be such a big deal. Were his jokes in bad taste? Absolutely, but some were not so different than what many preteens are saying to each other on the playground. The jokes about the mother were clearly written by the dad which is yuck, but many ppl now will do anything for fame and I don't think this "comedy" is reflective of what this kid or his friends and community are actually DOING. Talk is cheap.

Oh and those who say that what he said is dirtier than what is said at comedy clubs- you clearly haven't been to a comedy club in a while.

Yael

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:23 pm
I have cleaned up this thread.
I see no reason to unlock it. If you feel it should be unlocked please let me know.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics