Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry detergent need a hechsher?
Previous  1  2

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 12:24 am
Leahs Mom wrote:
I would love to know if there is any legit rabbi who says that laundry needs a hechsher. Confused

My rabbi holds that I have to wash my husband's and my laundry separately when we are niddah. We have two machines so we can always use one for my stuff and one for his. I also use the two machines as milchig and fleishig and wash my dish towels separately.
(We hold that it can be kashered for pesach)

Redbird

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 12:40 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
My rabbi holds that I have to wash my husband's and my laundry separately when we are niddah. We have two machines so we can always use one for my stuff and one for his. I also use the two machines as milchig and fleishig and wash my dish towels separately.

Wait.... so if your sock ends up in his machine you treif up all his clothes?

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 1:04 am
So I was flipping through Hadassah magazine and saw an intravenous drug is now under O-U hashgacha. They even say it does not need to be but they got it for their clientel. I think we have gone over the edge!

Side note -- a long time ago a friend was setting up a kosher apartment for the first time. He proudly told me about his separate dishes and silverware and mugs. I asked if he got 2 garbage pails. "What?" he said. "Of course," I replied, "you have to." It took a while for him to realize I was kidding around. Felt a little guilty but it was fun!

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 1:23 am
How about if you put your blintz leaves onto towels, which is recommended in my old cookbook. Since it's hot, straight out of the frying pan, would you need to make sure your towels had been washed more than 24 hours before?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 5:34 am
My toilet bowl cleaner does not have a hechsher. It's also expired, says it's good for two years after manufacturer and it was made in 2011.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 8:02 am
I have never heard that laundry detergent needs a hechsher.
if a company wants to pay to have one on there to look good they can I guess.
I also never heard about washing clothes separately when nidda.
you learn somthing new every day Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 8:04 am
Leahs Mom wrote:
Wait.... so if your sock ends up in his machine you treif up all his clothes?

It depends, it can be batel beshishim so if that's the case it's ok. Otherwise I kasher by running the hottest cycle.

mom in france

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 8:40 am
This thread is hysterical!! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 1:55 pm
We actually had a thread some time ago about the halachos of laundry some time ago. It wasn't easy, I had to try about ten different ways to search, but:
I found it! Enjoy!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 3:37 pm
Finally a thread to use my favorite abbreviation (I think it all the time but would never dare use it)

Laundry detergent need a hechsher?
YGTBK -- You've Got To Be Kidding

feel free to use it but be careful - I think it's OK here

myself

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 4:15 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I have never heard that laundry detergent needs a hechsher.
if a company wants to pay to have one on there to look good they can I guess.
I also never heard about washing clothes separately when nidda.
you learn somthing new every day Smile

I do hope you realise this was all in jest! LOL

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 4:16 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
Lipstick, of all things, does not NEED to be kasher lepesach, bec it's not edible. Yes, you will end up swallowing some but it's not considered edible. So detergent definitely does not need to be kosher.

Just to point out:
kasher lepesach means that it is chometz free, not necessarily kosher.
Just because something has no chometz does NOT imply that it is kosher for eating!

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 4:18 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
My rabbi holds that I have to wash my husband's and my laundry separately when we are niddah.

Would you mind explaining the reasoning behind this?
Thanks

*This question is a respectful one. I sincerely would like to understand it better, not gang up on/attack you.

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 4:24 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
My rabbi holds that I have to wash my husband's and my laundry separately when we are niddah.

By definition, washing men's and women's clothing together is not tznius

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 5:43 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Mabelle.. I guess I'm tired from traveling all night!
I didn't realize you were joking.

BTW, not washing milchig and felishig together has a peshat. It is an issur to cook milchigs and fleishigs and since you put them dirty into the washing machine, if you use hot water, some people call it "cooking" the two together. I personally do wash them together, but those who do not are not necessarily being excessive.

Redbird

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 5:49 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
By definition, washing men's and women's clothing together is not tznius

How about chareidi women smoking in public? your picture cracks me up!!! Rolling Laughter
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry