Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Having Guests for Shabbos

RW

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 9:37 pm
We are having guests next Shabbos and I am very nervous. It has been a while since we have had guests. Anyone have any easy quick recipes? I'm really only looming for side dishes. I already have my main dishes covered. Thanks in advance for your responses.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 10:42 pm
I have a good recipe for Sushi Salad for a fish dish (it's basically California roll without being rolled).

Is this for Friday night? Lunch or both?

Roasted potatoes work well for Friday night. Also orzo salad is a good side dish. Roasted veggies are also good.

Tureky salad for Shabbos day usually goes over well.

That's all I can think of for now...

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 10:47 pm
It's summer; nobody really wants a lot of heavy food. Make an array of salads--all fruit, all veggie, fruit and veggie, grain-and-veggie (like tabouli, or pasta primavera), that sort of thing.

agreer

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:23 pm
zaq wrote:
It's summer; nobody really wants a lot of heavy food. Make an array of salads--all fruit, all veggie, fruit and veggie, grain-and-veggie (like tabouli, or pasta primavera), that sort of thing.

Um, I haaaaaate to disagree with zaq, but on shabbos, I'm HUNGRY no matter what the season is! However, all her suggestions sound delicious! Just make sure you have plenty of food.

I can't tell you how many times I've been a guest at someone's house (one particular family member, otherwise I'd never choose to go back) and she says something like, "OH, I was also gonna make a kugel and a corned beef, but I thought it would be too much," and I'm staaaaarving because she really didn't make enough.

tryingmybest

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:44 am
Something easy and great are usually roasted vegetables or something. You can even buy a bag of frozen broccoli, add some spice and have it as a good side. Salads are great...try to do different kinds (cucumber, rainbow, tomato, etc) dips are also great-just buy a few different kinds. Rice should be pretty easy, potato kugel is a basic in my house. Good Luck

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:50 am
chinese fried rice
easy bakes rice
potato kugel
orzo with veggies
english style roasted potatoes
roast baby potatoes with garlic and onion
roast sweet potatoes
roast parsnips

there is a super easy broccoli kugel in jaime gellers book I make.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 6:51 am
agreer wrote:
Um, I haaaaaate to disagree with zaq, but on shabbos, I'm HUNGRY no matter what the season is! However, all her suggestions sound delicious! Just make sure you have plenty of food.

I can't tell you how many times I've been a guest at someone's house (one particular family member, otherwise I'd never choose to go back) and she says something like, "OH, I was also gonna make a kugel and a corned beef, but I thought it would be too much," and I'm staaaaarving because she really didn't make enough.

You should come to us for Shabbos! I always make tons; I cannot figure out how to make everything in less than 6-8 hours.

There are great suggestions here. Most roasted veggies involve a little cutting/checkng prep time, but then are very little work. Same with couscous/orzo/rice.

Microwaved potatoes, corn, asparagus, or sweet potatoes are quick and tasty. Ditto, peas, then mixed into a salad with a little mayo and salt. Packaged shredded cabbage makes coleslaw a breeze. A lot of salads can be made with canned veggies like chickpeas or beans or corn.

And you can always throw together a crudites tray with canned pickles, canned olives, baby carrots, sliced peppers and cucumber, and chumus in the middle for dipping.

Fresh fruit and chocolate are easy, popular desserts.

Dev80

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:00 am
I only make quick and easy as my life does not allow for things that take too much time. Sides I like to make (repeating what others said)

-veggies roasted with soy sauce (instead of oil) and some spices (garlic, parsley, dill, salt, pepper). This can be Zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato, mushrooms, onions, scallions, peppers, etc

-Sweet potato pie (can be with a nut topping) or butternut squash pie

-different types of rice. We also like bulgar

-deli roll

-chicken salad

-sesame noodles

-I love brocolli kugel and potato kugel but they take me much longer than other things so I save that for when I have more time

Umm these are what I can think of for now, I'm sure whatever you do will be yummy and great!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus