Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shema night before bris- HOW TO?

LisaS

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:15 am
We had a baby boy last Tuesday and are making a bris tomorrow, BH.
We are having a brit yitzchak in our home tonight, but my son also asked if he could invite his friends over to say Shema with the baby. I said "sure" but then I realized I don't know when/how it's done.

- Is it supposed to be after dark, or can we invite the kids for 7pm?
- Do we say just the first passuk, the first paragraph, or the whole shema?
- After Shema + hamalach hagoel, is there anything else, or do we just hand out candies and that's it?
- Do kids say it each as they come, or does everyone say it once all together?

May we hear good news for all of klal yisrael, and in particular for the 3 abducted teens.

chanar

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:16 am
Different ppl have different ways of doing it.
Personally By us, we have a set time (usually around 5pm the night before the Bris because that's a good time for little kids..) when we invite all the neighborhood little kids to come over. We put a bassinet or crib downstairs and all the kids stand around and sing the shema together. Then we give out pekelach to all the kids. We also put out cakes and drinks for the parents..
A friend of mine recently did it, and they just let all their friends know that the kids should come over.. So she had them coming anytime from after school till bedtime..each kid said shema themselves to the baby, got their nosh and left!
Just depends what works for you!
Mazal tov!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:53 am
There are many different ways. My chassidishe friend did a big one and had to explain to people what it is and why they should please come etc.
It's like almost every family (who does) has its own minhag.

LisaS

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:18 am
Thanks so much for your replies!

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:21 am
I will tell you how we did it.

We invited the neighborhood and family kids to come between 5-7 (I didn't want it free for all all night). Whoever came said shema and hamalach (some also said ve'ahavta) and then we gave them a small pekala (little bag with a potato chips, candy and wafer snack).

Most people just come, say and go. You don't have to wait around for everyone to be there. Let them do their own thing so-to-speak.
We also had a class of young boys from the local cheder come down in their lunch break to say it. It was very cute but totally not a must.

Later my dh made a vacht nacht seudah. Basically lots of men and lots of food and before they left they davened maariv and said shema over the baby.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:25 am
The text is basically kriyas shema shel mita. We did it ater dark
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics