Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Where to get REALLY curly girls hair done for a simcha?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:22 pm
We have a family simcha coming up. She has really kinky, curly, thick, long hair Very Happy We would like to keep it curly but just have someone make it look especially nice for the simcha.

Anyone know of a place that knows how to handle this type of hair and does a good job? (We live in Brooklyn)

It would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:29 pm
Find a deva salon

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:30 pm
If you have Instagram check out glamourbeautysalon1 she does an amazing job.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:31 pm
Consider places that have a large Hispanic clientele. They are majorly into hair and they know from long, thick, curly manes.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:32 pm
What is a deva salon? I googled it and came up with devachan salon, is that it? The closest one being in the city? Sad. Have you used them personally?
Is this it-there's no place more local that can adequately handle curly hair?

That Instagram account had nice photos but it didn't seem like she dealt with "curly" hair in particular, which is specifically what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all help.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 12:25 am
http://www.mydevacurl.com/curl.....inder

We go to a deva salon, here in dundas Ontario. I have two extremely curly kids, a boy and a girl and they both get their hair. Cut there only.deva trained stylists KNOW curly hair and yes, it is worth a ride to go to one.

hinenimuchan

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:44 am
If money were not an object, I would try a Ouidad salon (DS who learned a little Arabic in Yeshiva HS in Israel says it is an Arabic name). The main one is in Manhattan and there are a few certified branches. Ouidad herself has been featured nationally in magazines and on talk shows as a curly hair guru. It is an experience designed to build confidence and positive feeling about the hair type.

However, last time I checked, it would cost well over $100 for basic cut by a less established stylist in a branch salon and essential styling products (Maybe that is what was meant by a "Deva" (diva?) salon)...too much for our budget, at least until, perhaps, my own daughter who has that hair is ready to date.

When I re-Googled tonight, I came across Naturallycurly.com, which has some reviews on Ouidad (mixed, depends on stylist and probably on customer's enthusiasm to commit to (and pay for!) home maintenance system). It also lists other salons by location and advertises products. I briefly saw some salons listed for Brooklyn, but I am not familiar enough with Brooklyn to know if the locales would be decent.

Reading about Ouidad would be worthwhile in your spare time regardless. It builds optimism and motivation to try different products at home and to look around to notice great curly cuts.

Honestly, though, the only affordable and attractive simcha solution we have found so far is to straighten with a top of the line straightening iron and heat protectant (looks best done day before so short flyaways calm down, as long as it will not get wet), then add loose (now smooth) curls with a curling iron so it looks like "her" and accessorize with barettes, headbands, etc.

Hatzlachah and mazal tov!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:51 am
Our deva salon charges nowhere near what was spoken about above. Also our opinion is that the main product you need is non sulphate conditioner. Dd with long hair stopped using shampoo years ago and her hair is so healthy and beautiful because we don't even own a straightening iron. We pay for a full cut once a year, and 'oxygen' cuts at a greatly reduced rate the rest of the year.

Deva will know how to do an updo with very curly hair. Also going once and letting them teach you what to do is a sound investment.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:13 am
Elanit on 13th does a great job!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:54 am
dolly1-it sounds like you may possibly be our savior! Have you used her personally? Did you use her to do someone who has curly hair and kept it curly? (and do you have a number/address?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics