Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can I cook meat and dairy pots at same time on stove top?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:11 pm
Can I cook 2 pots at the same time on opposite sides of a 4 burner stove top?
One pot has actual meat. For the other pot I can use a pareve or dairy pot but food will be eaten with milk.
Both pots would be covered and only one cover opened at a time.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:15 pm
You should really ask a Rov.
Some stoves have a very large space in the center from left to right. Then the pots are nowhere near eachother.

If they are close you can buy a metal like thing (material is like that of a blech) but stands up between the pots.

If any pot is uncovered there are issues with steam, I think.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:26 pm
kollel wife wrote:

Some stoves have a very large space in the center from left to right. Then the pots are nowhere near eachother.

There is 9inches (23cm) between the pots.

marina

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:26 pm
yes. it is fine.

Quote:
Where one stove is used, separate burners designated for milk or meat use are preferable. If this is not possible, extra care must be taken to keep the burners very clean.

It is best to avoid cooking both types of food at the same time since the steam or food in one pot might splatter or escape to another, creating serious kashrut problems regarding the food and pots involved.

If it becomes necessary to cook both meat and dairy foods in separate pots at the same time, utmost care should be taken that the lids are secured tightly at all times and that an upright sheet of tin or other metal separates the pots.

Take care to avoid lifting lids of both meat and dairy pots at the same time. If the lids must be lifted to check the food or add any ingredients, raise the lid only slightly off the pots, tilted away from the opposite pots. It is best to have the meat and dairy pots well separated, to keep each pot’s steam or liquid from coming in contact with the other pot’s contents and steam.

from http://www.ok.org/consumers/yo.....osher
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions