Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Outfitting 9 year old DD

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:38 pm
How much should I expect to spend to have her outfitted from head to toe? She's in a uniform all year, and her "sunday clothes" are trash. I only buy "real" clothing for her now, to wear the summer and to last for sundays, etc until next summer.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 7:21 pm
how often do you do laundry? do you have any specifications for appropriate dress (colors, patterns, etc)?

imeinu

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:00 pm
really depends where you shop! if you shop in "Jewish Stores" you will spend much more than, say, marshalls or tj max.

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:25 pm
I do laundry on a weekly basis - each bedroom (we're in 3) has a day, and I do 1 light load and 1 dark load per day . . . and then towels/linens/catchup on other days.
I have never been matzliach at tj maxx, etc, since she's about 6. I don't sew, and don't know anyone who does, and find that whatever I've tried from the non jewish stores has come with a hassle and added price tag of fixing it up. I want something to wear off the rack.
We're yeshivish, our kids are in an OOT chassidishe school, our dress reflects that. I am also very conservative by nature. Lots of dark skirts and colorful - not bold or bright- shirts. My daughter is a little more trendy, and I'm happy to go with it so long as it fits our standard. She's actually good at spotting for herself what she wants to wear and will tell me when she tries it on "this one would work with a shell, this one won't work, this skirt is too short..." so we're on the same page on that score.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:39 pm
Two or three skirts for about thirty five each is average.

Shells from basic colors about seven each.

And "vests" or tank tops that look like vests for about seven or eight dollars at old navy or landsend.

Round it off to two hundred fifty to three hundred depending on how much you buy of each thing.

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:03 pm
Thank you sneakermom for giving it to me straight ...
went shopping in the jewish store, scored 1 skirt that fit - we have no waist, for which we will be eternally grateful someday, and are too tall for the smaller waisted sizes- so now we have the skirt that survived last year and the new skirt. We also managed two tops, one my daughter fell in love with and - yay!- was fifty percent off, one I loved and since it fit well and we had no others she liked, we stuck with it. We do have one cute top handed down by a neighbor, so we're at 3 tops 2 skirts. The search is on, to stretch her wardrobe to meet the laundry schedule!

It's times like this that I"m happy we specialize in boys. Tops- $2.50, $3 at old navy, bottoms $10-$12 at walmart (we NEED the iron knees, folks). Finis.

At least I know now that we're not the only ones paying through the nose to be clothed.

bookworm10

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:40 pm
Target! Zara!

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:34 pm
I'm not familiar with Zara - where are they? can I go online? and we can't find anything to fit and be wear-off-the-hanger tznius at target.

animeme

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 8:45 pm
There are some wonderful long skirts at target this year. You just have to be OK with color or white. Buy a couple of shells and you can buy great short sleeve tops at target too. We got some great long sleeve t shirts for dd also, but for that you have to shop earlier in the season.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains