Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Should we really be sending all this junk food to the IDF?

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 3:55 pm
I do not at all mean to cast a negative light on the absolutely gorgeous display of love for our Jewish brethren that we are witnessing today around the world.

To see so many people literally going out of their way to find some way - any way - to make even the slightest difference in this horrendous kidnapping situation, is heart warming.

But am I the only one who is wondering whether it is healthy or good or wise for the greatest form of support we offer to the young men and women who are searching for the boys, to be the delivery of junk food and soda? Pizza and candy?

I've seen the meals they get on bases. They're pretty lousy. Could we not, maybe, try to send them some really good food? I mean, I get that they probably love the candy - who wouldn't?....But so much? Could we maybe not diversify a bit? Send them healthier stuff to keep them....healthy?!

When I eat a bunch of candy, I don't feel good! I certainly don't feel in top form, and I imagine they won't either...

Am I crazy?

rosehill

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:18 pm
You know the phrase "it's the thought that counts"?

To me, the idea of sending all sorts of comfort foods to the soldiers is more about keeping them motivated, and their spirits up. That people all over the world care so much about this mission, they will support you in any way they can.
It's less about the vitamins and proteins and nourishment.

My mother also said we should be sending them fruit, vegetables and water bottles, rather than candy and soda. But I think in this weather the more shelf stable the better.

Don't worry about them not feeling in top form. Most young men that I know have strong stomachs that can handle anything and everything stuffed into them.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:21 pm
To be honest, I think it's partly because people lack imagination and think only junk food is a treat, and partly because junk food is both nonperishable and comparatively cheap. Delivering high-quality fresh food would be difficult to arrange and cost a mint. We have the same problem with mishloach manot. Preparing and delivering cookies is easy; making sure a kugel gets to its intended recipients while still wholesome, not so much.

OTOH there are some long-lasting treats that are not all empty calories, like nuts and dried fruits, no-sugar-added fruit leathers, aseptic-packaged fruit juices, and and salami sticks.

wispalover

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:21 pm
I think part of the reason behind sending pizza is that you are also supporting small local businesses in areas that probably dont get much in the way of the tourist trade and are probably suffering from the IDF/ Palestinian "action" in the area.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:46 pm
I wondered that too and then got this notice:
Quote:
ladies and gents, please share this widely. I have just spoken to someone who coordinates help for the soldiers throughout the year (help with what they truly need, not treats to boost morale), and he has said please please please stop with the bissli and bamba. the soldiers need the energy bars, they need the shlukerim but they also really need deodorants, babywipes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, shower gel, (basic toiletries) as well as underwear, t-shirts, socks. some of these soldiers have not been home since the operation started, and will not be home until it is done.

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:38 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
I wondered that too and then got this notice:
Quote:
ladies and gents, please share this widely. I have just spoken to someone who coordinates help for the soldiers throughout the year (help with what they truly need, not treats to boost morale), and he has said please please please stop with the bissli and bamba. the soldiers need the energy bars, they need the shlukerim but they also really need deodorants, babywipes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, shower gel, (basic toiletries) as well as underwear, t-shirts, socks. some of these soldiers have not been home since the operation started, and will not be home until it is done.

Yeah, this is totally what I was wondering.
Does anyone know of organizations that are delivering this more necessary stuff to the soldiers?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:59 pm
I definitely read somewhere today of a health food store that was going to send 110% of orders to soldiers of energy bars, dried fruit, etc (meaning they'll give 110 NIS worth if you pay 100 NIS) -- have to find that contact info

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 6:56 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I definitely read somewhere today of a health food store that was going to send 110% of orders to soldiers of energy bars, dried fruit, etc (meaning they'll give 110 NIS worth if you pay 100 NIS) -- have to find that contact info

Please do!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 7:26 pm
Feeding the chayalim searching for the boys healthier food:
We have all been helping the chayalim by bringing treats, cakes and drinks. According to what we have heard, the chayalim would like some healthier options. Nitzat Haduvdevan has offered to take orders over the telephone, and deliver directly to the pina chama. They will add 10% to your order (meaning if you place an order for NIS 100 they will provide NIS110 worth of food). Nitzat Haduvdevan is a health food store …which sells nuts, dried fruit and energy bars. If you would like to order from them, you can call 02-652-9070. If calling from the US dial 011 972 2 652-9070

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 9:43 pm
The army is supplying the soldiers with water bottles, probably fruit as well, that's standard food the army gives the soldiers. The idea is to supply them with something extra, having them feel that people are thinking about them. Some communities made sandwiches, other had a big BBQ, Pizzas are easy and fun, and what young men (aren't many women in combat units) really like after a hard day's work.
My community had an organized baking session, with the kids baking in groups according to classes (I hosted my second grader's friends), one of the groups made a quiche.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:36 pm
Capitalchick wrote:
Yeah, this is totally what I was wondering.
Does anyone know of organizations that are delivering this more necessary stuff to the soldiers?

Yes, my kids participated just yesterday with an organization that is sending nuts, seeds, water, underwear, socks, deodorant, soap, wipes, toothbrushes... and snacks. Smile

grace413

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:45 pm
https://www.yasharlachayal.org/

This is a wonderful organization that has been helping out soldiers with extra food, toiletries and clothing for years. The head of the organization who is a great guy delivers the stuff himself and there is minimal overhead so any donation is well spent on helping our brave boys.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:51 pm
The chayalim, at least a good number of them, are being well fed with real food too.
The extra forces that have been transferred to the operation areas are being looked after by the communities in the area, including my own.
For the better part of this week the community, from the mayor down, has mobilized to provide huge home cooked meals for the soldiers.
Great thought goes into what to feed them. Last night we made it a chalavi night because they had been having besari until now, much of the meat, (we had had 3 huge BBQ"s going on in different parts of the town) though not all because we still were asked to bring, having been donated by the proprietors of local restaurants. Someone from the States had donated a very nice sum of money to buy tons of pizza for last night but obviously it wasn't enough for a complete meal and the call went out again to bring fruit, veggie platters, casseroles, soups, pittot, spreads, nuts etc. as well as disposables. Yesterday lunch was felafel for those who were around at that time, provided by the local felafel store. We have also been supplementing the breakfasts that the army's refrigerated trucks brings in in the mornings. I just walked by and saw the leftovers from breakfast that were still out for those not on duty: bakery cookies and cakes, cereal, fruit, hot and cold drinks of all sorts etc. The local supermarkets have also been very generous and forthcoming. Personal hygiene products are very important (including muisquito repellent) and people have been contributing them from the beginning. They need all of that very much too.
The snacks and cakes and even cereal they take with them when they go out on activity in the morning and they eat it during the day. The army provides field rations but they're pretty dismal.
Nitzat Haduvdevan (the natural foods store at Tzomet Hagush) is indeed providing the healthier snacks if anyone wants to contribute in that way.

ABC

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 1:09 am
grace413 wrote:
https://www.yasharlachayal.org/

This is a wonderful organization that has been helping out soldiers with extra food, toiletries and clothing for years. The head of the organization who is a great guy delivers the stuff himself and there is minimal overhead so any donation is well spent on helping our brave boys.

I second this. This organization does fantastic work. They are directly in touch with the army, finding out what they need. They really make a difference. They often organize collections (including for treats sometimes), but the best thing is to donate money directly to them. I believe they are in dire need of shlukers (the water bottles you can wear on your back with a straw that comes to your face so you can sip constantly. There's a heatwave forecast the next few days and this is a great way to support our soldiers with what they really need.

On a separate note, some people have asked, doesn't the army automatically provide what the soldiers need? The answer is yes, but with the massive drafting of the past couple of weeks, supplies are more sparce, they didn't expect this.

Please supprt Yashar l'chayil or any other organisation that provides what the soldiers really need.

Cakes and treats for the pina chama are also nice and I'm sure boost morale.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 2:30 am
Whenever my son comes home for Shabbat he goes back with 3 big bags of Bamba. He was born here and grew up with the Israeli health standards that Bamba is the best healthy snack. He claims it gives them energy. Who knows? I think Bamba is disgusting (guess I'll never really be Israeli). The army gives alot of protein - they know the importance of it, tuna, salami... I hope they're not eating Loof - canned meat UGH (If you have a dog it's perfect dog food).

The soldiers are fed healthy food but you can never feed a teen boy enough.

etky

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 2:58 am
Sanguine wrote:
Whenever my son comes home for Shabbat he goes back with 3 big bags of Bamba. He was born here and grew up with the Israeli health standards that Bamba is the best healthy snack. He claims it gives them energy. Who knows? I think Bamba is disgusting (guess I'll never really be Israeli). The army gives alot of protein - they know the importance of it, tuna, salami... I hope they're not eating Loof - canned meat UGH (If you have a dog it's perfect dog food).

The soldiers are fed healthy food but you can never feed a teen boy enough.

You''ll be happy to hear that Loof was taken out of the 'manot krav'a few years ago and it is no longer produced here.
And yes, you should see those soldiers eat. They are very, very appreciative to have home cooked food instead of the field rations.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 3:06 am
etky wrote:
You''ll be happy to hear that Loof was taken out of the 'manot krav'a few years ago and it is no longer produced here.

Good thing we got rid of the dog - she loved it

rae gi

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 7:19 am
HY, thank you for posting phone number.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics